This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5495 / 55°32'58"N
Longitude: -2.8462 / 2°50'46"W
OS Eastings: 346708
OS Northings: 628742
OS Grid: NT467287
Mapcode National: GBR 84K8.LH
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.7SX2
Entry Name: Station Road, Waterworks and Mill Lade Bridge
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390445
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43819
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Dated 1903, incorporating earlier fabric, with later alterations and additions (to SW). Single storey L-plan building with 8-bay group to NE with swept corner (to SE) and 3-bay return. Squared and snecked whinstone with polished red sandstone dressings; bull-faced red sandstone pilasters. Base course, corbelled cornice.
NE ELEVATION: slightly advanced gabled bay to inner left with bull-faced red sandstone quoins. 2-leaf panelled door with segmental-arched plate glass fanlight above set in heavy doorpiece with flanking pilasters with fluted upper, curved out to dated entablature with diminutive scrolled pediment to centre above. Flush ashlar band course to gablehead with blinded arrow slit above. Bipartite window to each bay to left and right; piers between bays.
SE ELEVATION: 3 bipartite windows, divided by piers (as above).
NW ELEVATION: gabled. Modern steps to 2-leaf panelled door in bay to left, set in ashlar basket-arched and consoled doorpiece with diminutive segmental pediment and "Selkirk Water Works" carved in lintel. Window in bay to right. Carved plaque to gablehead with town motif.
Variety of windows. Graded slate roof. Metal polygonal, louvred vent. Decorative terracotta cresting. Gables with kneelers. coped skews and skewputts.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.
MILL LADE BRIDGE: positioned to NE and N (other side of Station Road). 3 panelled cast-iron bridge with secondary girder panelling beneath, flanked by stugged ashlar coped piers to N. Now altered to NE with
1 panel and pier removed.
There was an L-plan building on this site in 1865 and 1897, which is labelled as a corn mill. A photograph of circa 1890 (SE/708, NMRS) shows the corn mill as a 3 and 4-storey whinstone rubble building with an addition set back to SE with curved corner, which is reflected by the waterworks swept L-plan. An older building has been incorporated into the present building to SW. The mill lade bridge is of interest due to its historic links with the mills and industrial area of Selkirk.
Other nearby listed buildings