This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5497 / 55°32'58"N
Longitude: -2.8469 / 2°50'48"W
OS Eastings: 346663
OS Northings: 628769
OS Grid: NT466287
Mapcode National: GBR 84K8.FD
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.7RKX
Entry Name: Station Road, Station Hotel and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390446
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43820
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Mid 19th century (possibly incorporating with earlier fabric) with later alterations and additions. 3-storey with later attic, 5-bay tenement with single storey wing to SE. Painted render with painted ashlar dressings. Base course, moulded cill course to 1st and 2nd floors; cornice and blocking course.
NE ELEVATION: 3-storey bays grouped 3-2. Alternating triangular and segmental pedimented dormerheads to windows at attic, breaking quasi parapet. Door to centre of 3-bay group; ashlar doorpiece with diminutive segmental pediment. Window to each floor above. Window to each flanking bay and to each floor. Window at ground to each bay of 2-bay group, augmented in bay to right; 2-leaf modern boarded between. Window to each floor of each bay. Single storey piended wing to left, slightly set back, with round-arched window.
SW ELEVATION: not seen, 1995.
Variety of windows, mainly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Slate roof with coped skews and skewputts. Wallhead stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.
GATEPIERS: to SE. Sandstone ashlar square-plan gatepiers with pyramidal coping, 1 abutting single storey wing.
The building first appears on 1st edition OS map (1858). The railway first came to Selkirk in 1856. (The first turf was cut at Boldside by Provost Roberts and Mr Murray of Philiphaugh in 1855. The first train ran on 25th March 1856. In November 1858 the Selkirk Railway Company amalgamated with the North British Railway Company). The photograph in NMRS shows the building was as now in circa 1900.
Other nearby listed buildings