History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

21 Tower Street

A Category C Listed Building in Selkirk, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5478 / 55°32'52"N

Longitude: -2.8398 / 2°50'23"W

OS Eastings: 347110

OS Northings: 628557

OS Grid: NT471285

Mapcode National: GBR 84L9.Z2

Mapcode Global: WH7WV.BTYB

Entry Name: 21 Tower Street

Listing Date: 11 December 1996

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 390452

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43823

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Selkirk

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire

Traditional County: Selkirkshire

Find accommodation in
Selkirk

Description

Early 19th century with later alterations. 2-storey 4-bay house and workshop. Whinstone rubble with red sandstone droved ashlar tabs to margins at 1st floor, concrete margins at 1st floor; timber lintels to openings at ground. SW elevation (principal elevation): irregular. Window at ground to left of inner bay to left with boarded door at 1st floor above, 5-pane rectangular fanlight above, with 1950s concrete, cantilevered forestair. Window to each floor of bay to outer left. Boarded door in bay to inner right, flanked by narrower boarded door to immediate right. Window to each floor of bay to outer right. 6-pane timber sash and case windows at 1st floor; fixed-pane windows at ground. Modern corrugated roof with wallhead stacks to side elevations.

Statement of Interest

Wood's map labels this building as being an Incle Manufactory. According to Gilbert, Bailie Rodger in 1771 was given 30 pounds per year for 3 years to help him in his various manufactories, including that of incle. An incle was a band of linen which could be made into items of body and household linen. William Rodger was granted the same amount the following 3 years. Apparently in 1778, there were 8 looms in this manufactory and he would employ mainly young boys and girls. The building may have been subsequently used as a stable (the narrower door being a pedestrian door, and the broader one being an equestrian entrance, in bay to inner right). The building is sited behind a single storey with basement house directly on Tower Street, No 17-19 Tower Street. There was a forestair shown on the large scale map of 1865, so the present concrete cantilevered stair must have been replacing the original.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.