This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5468 / 55°32'48"N
Longitude: -2.8424 / 2°50'32"W
OS Eastings: 346946
OS Northings: 628438
OS Grid: NT469284
Mapcode National: GBR 84L9.FG
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.9VQ5
Entry Name: 1-7 (Odd Nos) West Port
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390458
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43829
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Earlier-mid 19th century, possibly incorporating earlier fabric, with later additions and alterations. 2-storey, 6-bay L-plan terraced tenement group with shops at ground. Painted stugged ashlar with droved ashlar dressings to Nos 1 and 3 (outer left), polished ashlar dressings to Nos 5 and 7 (to right); rendered and whinstone rubble to rear additions. Base course, lintel band course at 1st floor.
NW (WEST PORT) ELEVATION: bays grouped 1-5, with bay to outer left advanced. Irregular arrangement of bays at ground. Shop front to right of 5-bay group with 2-leaf panelled door, rectangular plate glass fanlight, at centre with fixed-pane plate glass shop windows flanking; deep-set panelled door to outer right with rectangular plate glass fanlight above, set in stop-chamfered opening; modern partly-glazed door in bay to inner left; fixed-pane plate glass shop window in bay to outer left to left of door. Window to each bay at 1st floor, regularly spaced, directly abutting projecting wall to outer left. Ashlar rectangular plaque between ground and 1st floor of bay to inner left (see Notes). .Fixed-pane shop window at ground of bay to outer left with window at 1st floor above. Chamfered corner to projecting bay, with partly-glazed modern door with letterbox fanlight above, corbelled at 1st floor to square. Fixed pane plate glass window at ground of return SW elevation with window at 1st floor above.
SE ELEVATION: M-gabled projection with further single storey addition to outer left.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows, except 12-lying-pane timber sash and case windows to bay to centre and bays to right of centre of 5-bay group. Slate roof with some 2-pane 19th century skylights. Brick with droved ashlar quoins and coped stack to NE.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1996.
Buildings are shown on this site from 1823. The plaque is inscribed with: "In a house on or near this site James Graham Marquis of Montrose spent the night before the battle at Philiphaugh on 13th September 1645 - ?A Candidate for Immortality?, Wishart, erected by Selkirk Merchant Company". Upon the fanlight of the shop (right of centre) is painted the name Montrose House 1645, to further commemorate the history of the site.