History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2 and 4 West Port

A Category C Listed Building in Selkirk, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.547 / 55°32'49"N

Longitude: -2.8426 / 2°50'33"W

OS Eastings: 346934

OS Northings: 628462

OS Grid: NT469284

Mapcode National: GBR 84L9.DD

Mapcode Global: WH7WV.9VM0

Entry Name: 2 and 4 West Port

Listing Date: 11 December 1996

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 390470

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43838

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Selkirk

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire

Traditional County: Selkirkshire

Find accommodation in
Selkirk

Description

JP Alison and Hobkirk, dated 1935 with later alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay terraced building with shop front at ground. Polished ashlar with rusticated ashlar to outer left of ground. Moulded string course between ground and 1st floor; eaves course.

SE ELEVATION: shop window at ground to centre with border-glazed upper light; fascia above. Shallow canted window at 1st floor above. Inset door in bay to right with fanlight above; 1935 carved at 1st floor. Panelled door in bay to left with border-glazed fanlight above; 1835 carved at 1st floor.

NW ELEVATION: not seen, 1995. Extensive full-height projection.

Modern glazing. Slate roof, platformed at apex, with overhanging eaves, corbelled to outer. Platformed modern dormers to outer bays. Apex stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.

Statement of Interest

There was a building on this site in 1823. There is a wrought-iron bracket above the shop entrance. See photograph SE/739 for building on site in circa 1910. The site was formerly owned by the Selkirk Gas Company, who commissioned Alison and Hobkirk to provide drawings for new premises on the site. The plans are dated June 1935 and show firstly the old premises and then a detailed drawing of the premises which now remain. The building has altered little externally, except for the modern glazing, including the dormers which were originally tripartite. The projections to rear were originally intended to be used for a boardroom, office and workshop, at ground.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.