This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5467 / 55°32'48"N
Longitude: -2.8524 / 2°51'8"W
OS Eastings: 346315
OS Northings: 628444
OS Grid: NT463284
Mapcode National: GBR 84J9.8G
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.4VZ5
Entry Name: Yarrow Terrace, Glen Hotel, with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390477
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43844
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Mid 19th century with substantial, sympathetic later alterations. 2-storey 3-bay house. Squared and snecked whinstone with droved and polished ashlar red sandstone dressings. Base course, flush quoins; ashlar mullions and transoms.
N (YARROW TERRACE) ELEVATION: bay to centre slightly advanced and gabled with former bipartite window at ground and 1st floor (now with door to right section of bipartite at ground). Bipartite window at ground in bay to left. Full-height canted corner bay to right with tripartite transomed window to each floor of central section; bipartite window to each floor of flanking sections.
W ELEVATION: 6-bay, grouped in pairs. Central 2-bay group slightly advanced and each gabled (forming M-gable) with quadripartite window at ground of bay to left; bipartite window at ground to right with window to outer right; each bay with tripartite window at 1st floor above and window to gablehead. Former transomed bipartite window in bay to right of 2-bay group to left of centre, now with glazed door below transom. Tripartite window to each floor of bay to left (acting as continuation of canted corner bay of N elevation). Bipartite window to each floor of bay to left of outer right 2-bay group; lean-to conservatory to outer right of bay and overlapping with bay to right. Single storey bay to right.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-bay grouped 1-1-2. 2-bay group slightly set forward with quoins. Window to each floor of bay to left, breaking eaves and with dormerhead at 1st floor; 2-leaf panelled door flanking to right with plate glass rectangular fanlight above (formerly with gabled canopy). Bipartite window at ground of bay to outer right and window at 1st floor above. Bipartite window at ground of bay to left of 2-bay group; window at 1st floor, breaking eaves and with dormerhead. Single storey advanced and gabled bay to outer left with door to right of bay.
12-pane timber sash and case windows; various multi-pane arrangements for each of tripartite and bipartite groups. Slate roof with red sandstone coped stacks. Exposed rafters at eaves. Terracotta cresting. Kingpost to each gablehead (except to W elevation) and dormerhead. Cast-iron weathervane to canted corner bay to N elevation.
INTERIOR: timber banister to stairs lit by rooflight above, set in coved ceiling; minstrels gallery with timber balustrade at 1st floor, overlooking stair; embossed dado "anaglypta" paper (possibly original). Panelled ingoes to doors; some original panelled doors. Later (?) timber panelling to dining room and present bar. Shutters with original brass fittings. Fine stained glass to upper panels of transomed windows of dining room.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: whinstone rubble with rubble coping. Ashlar square-plan gatepiers to NE with ogeed coping.
The building first appears on 1st edition OS map (1858) and is called the Parsonage, for the Chapel which lies to W. The chapel was opened for Episcopalian worship in 1853. This building was subsequently called the Mauldsheugh, until, in 1964, it first appears as the Glen. The present owner thinks that the property was a temperance hotel from between the wars.
Other nearby listed buildings