This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1321 / 56°7'55"N
Longitude: -3.5547 / 3°33'16"W
OS Eastings: 303470
OS Northings: 694356
OS Grid: NT034943
Mapcode National: GBR 1T.KRCB
Mapcode Global: WH5QJ.C4KC
Entry Name: Sheardrum Farmhouse and Steading
Listing Date: 27 November 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390501
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43865
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Early 19th century, 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse with L-plan and rectangular- plan steading ranges to rear incorporating earlier fabric and with later work.
FARMHOUSE: Sandstone, squared, coursed and droved to front, rubble to rear with ashlar dressings, base course and eaves course to front. Door in bay off- centre right (modern door) with 2 steps, window above and in bays flanking. Rear elevation with harled lean-to to left, stepped wallhead stack to centre and irregular windows to right of centre to each floor. Opening in W return gable at ground. Modern glazing. Graded grey slates. Ashlar skews and gablehead stacks with cans.
STEADING: Rubble sandstone with ashlar margins, red pantiles. L-Plan range adjoined to house at W corner and running N. Taller 2-storey 3-bay stable/hayloft building adjoined to house at rear, with loft door breaking eaves in piend-roofed dormerhead and with timber stair, small window below flanking door, further door to right and 2 small square windows under eaves. Range continuing single storey to N with cart openings to courtyard and exterior elevations.
N range with piend-roofed workshop building abutting to courtyard in re-entrant angle, cart and machinery doors and windows. E range 2-storey mill, cartshed and barn, with single storey end closing to N; 2 segmental cart arches to courtyard and swept dormer to loft widow above, 2 doors and irregular windows; near blank to rear with cast-iron undershot wheel in place (paddles missing), with lade running parallel to range, course diverted to wheel.
INTERIORS: not seen (1996).
Other nearby listed buildings