This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0716 / 56°4'17"N
Longitude: -3.4572 / 3°27'25"W
OS Eastings: 309383
OS Northings: 687484
OS Grid: NT093874
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PH84
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.VNWB
Entry Name: 33 East Port
Listing Date: 18 February 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390534
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43886
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
R H Motion, 1938-39; additions to S. 3-storey and basement; 3-bay; rectangular-plan Modern Movement office building and showroom situated on sloping ground. Geometrical design with flat roofs and interlocked cubic forms; single storey showroom projects to principal (N) elevation. Rendered exterior. Low coped parapets to main roofs.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical arrangement. Projecting ground floor with recessed central entrance in glazed surround; replacement 2-leaf glazed steel door; large flanking projecting showroom windows canted inwards to entrance (upper tier of each slightly recessed); inlaid floor in between. Roof canted out to centre (in line with entrance) over fascia board; base course to parapet. Narrow central bay with flanking pilasters, set back to 1st and 2nd floors, raised slightly above main parapet; narrow window to each floor. flanking windows to 1st and 2nd floors set within slightly recessed horizontal bands, which wrap around corners of side (E and W) elevations.
W ELEVATION: blank side wall of ground floor showroom extends to left. Roof of main office block stepped down to right in 2 stages; each with slightly overhanging concrete sun terrace (that to right occupying space of top floor). Recessed horizontal bands continued from principal elevation to left of 1st and 2nd floors; single narrow window to right of lower one. Window to each main floor to right. Paired windows to ground and 1st floors to outer right. Irregular openings to basement (mainly blocked).
S ELEVATION: single window to ground and 1st floors to outer left bay; banded steel railings to sun roof above. Separate build projects to right.
E ELEVATION: blank; otherwise similar to W elevation.
Large fixed pane windows to ground floor showroom; mainly steel casements with horizontal glazing bars elsewhere. Flat roofs, probably concrete. Coped wallhead stacks to side (E and W) elevations.
INTERIOR: modernised ground floor showroom.
A strikingly modernist 1930's design situated on a prominent corner site. The offices were complete by 1938, built for the Fife Electric Power Company, but the showroom had not been fitted out, and was therefore taken over during the Second World War to serve as a surface air raid shelter. The showroom was re-fitted in 1948 for the South East Scotland Electricity Board (the former company as nationalised). The building was taken over by Dunfermline District Council Department of Housing in 1976-77. In 1994 the showroom was converted to offices.
Other nearby listed buildings