This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1121 / 56°6'43"N
Longitude: -3.1658 / 3°9'57"W
OS Eastings: 327597
OS Northings: 691645
OS Grid: NT275916
Mapcode National: GBR 29.LW5Y
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.BMPS
Entry Name: Bennochy Road and Abbotshall Road, War Memorial and Gardens with Sundial, Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls
Listing Date: 27 February 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390679
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44002
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
Quadrangle with balustraded terrace wall of WWI memorial and flanking steps to N; WWII memorial to E, wall with gifted seats to W, and axial gardens to S.
Heiton and Mckay; 1923. WWI memorial of stepped ashlar cenotaph to centre with bronzes to 3 faces (S, E and W) depicting each of the armed forces; flanking walls each with 18 bronze commemorative plaques to S.
Williamson and Hubbard; 1954. WWII memorial of white sarcophagus tomb on chamfered plinth with decorative consoles supporting table top; quadrant wall behind with flanking ashlar piers, dated '1939' and '1945', 11 bronze commemorative plaques and frieze inscribed ?GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS?.
SUNDIAL: stop-chamfered ashlar plinth on moulded base, carved frieze worded 'At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them'; stepped cope and sundial (gnomon missing).
GATEPIERS AND QUADRANT WALLS: square ashlar gatepiers with decorative ironwork lamps, and low quadrant walls.
The memorial gardens, together with the museum and library (immediately N), were built on the grounds of the former Balsusney House, home of John Maxton who started the Kirkcaldy Boys' Brigade in 1883.
Other nearby listed buildings