This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1144 / 56°6'51"N
Longitude: -3.1549 / 3°9'17"W
OS Eastings: 328280
OS Northings: 691895
OS Grid: NT282918
Mapcode National: GBR 29.LR5F
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.HKWZ
Entry Name: Coal Wynd, Former Mission Institute/Tax Office with Gates, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 27 February 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390685
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44006
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
William Williamson, 1909-10. Tall single storey with raised basement on falling ground, near-rectangular-plan Baroque-fronted hall, converted to dance studio 1996. Harled with ashlar dressings to principal elevation.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4-bay with channelled quoins, pulvinated frieze and mutuled cornice and blocking course. Canted ashlar porch to outer right with roll-moulded doorway in architraved surround with cornice; 2-leaf panelled doors; husk-garlanded oculus above. Windows to 3 remaining bays in ashlar panels with moulded cills to principal floor and band course to lower floor.
E ELEVATION: 4 bays divided by pilasters at principal floor with segmental-arched windows and moulded course dividing storeys. Projection to outer left by door at ground. Moulded eaves course.
W ELEVATION: tall round-arched window to outer left, flanked by stack.
Modern small-pane glazing. Grey slate piended roof. Coped harled stacks.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: decorative wrought-iron railings shielding falling ground to N with stylised ashlar gatepiers and 2-leaf gates.
Other nearby listed buildings