This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1096 / 56°6'34"N
Longitude: -3.164 / 3°9'50"W
OS Eastings: 327709
OS Northings: 691373
OS Grid: NT277913
Mapcode National: GBR 29.M34R
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.CPLN
Entry Name: 3 East Fergus Place with Outbuilding and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 27 February 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390687
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44008
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
Later 19th century, later extended to S, converted to offices 1974. 2-storey classical house converted to offices. Ashlar with coursed rubble and polished ashlar dressings. Deep base course and cavetto eaves cornice. Lugged and architraved windows. Stone mullions.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: block-pedimented doorcase with fluted Doric columns and deep-set panelled timber door with plate glass fanlight in bay to right of centre, window above. Slightly advanced bay to outer right with bipartite window to each floor and canted tripartite window to left (also to each floor), each bay corniced over ground floor and with mutuled cornice and stepped pediment over 1st floor. 2 regular later bays beyond to left.
S ELEVATION: largely blank with window to centre at 1st floor.
4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hopper.
INTERIOR: decorative cornices and dado rail. Screen door to vestibule, dog-leg staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail, square landing with bracketed round-arched opening and
2 circular lanterns.
OUTBUILDING: converted stable/gig house(?) adjoining N elevation. Slated, rubble outbuilding with ashlar quoins and raised margins. Corbelled window (former hayloft opening?) breaking eaves at centre.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low ashlar-coped rubble boundary walls to E, coped rubble elsewhere.
Formerly the Procurator Fiscal's house with a small basement holding cell.
Other nearby listed buildings