This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8543 / 55°51'15"N
Longitude: -4.2577 / 4°15'27"W
OS Eastings: 258767
OS Northings: 664647
OS Grid: NS587646
Mapcode National: GBR 0KP.Z4
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.K3QW
Entry Name: 5 Bridge Street and 15 Carlton Court, Cumbrae House
Listing Date: 22 February 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390732
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44041
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Southside Central
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Launcelot H Ross, 1937-8; restored by Houston Bryce Partnership, 1988. 3-storey and set back attic Art Deco office on corner site. Steel frame with concrete details by Considere Construction, large windows divided by piers; glazed tile cladding, cream tiles divided from black base course by pale blue band. 1st and 2nd floor windows united vertically with panelled metal fascia between. Canted panelled corner with corbelled tower supporting flagpole.
W (BRIDGE STREET) ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay. Entrance at centre with fascia stepping up over art Deco lettering CUMBRAE HOUSE.
S (CARLTON COURT) ELEVATION: shallow butterfly plan. Tall central stair tower with 3 narrow vertical glazing strips, flanked by 4-bay wing to W and 2-bay wing to E; latter with door and row of small windows at ground.
Modern plate glass windows at ground; metal multi-pane casements to upper floors.
INTERIOR: largely renewed modern office spaces.
Built as showrooms and offices for Cowden's Ideal Trading Stamp Company (Glasgow) Ltd.
Other nearby listed buildings