History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

465 and 467 High Street and Malcolm's House with Boundary Walls

A Category C Listed Building in Kirkcaldy, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1161 / 56°6'58"N

Longitude: -3.1522 / 3°9'7"W

OS Eastings: 328455

OS Northings: 692084

OS Grid: NT284920

Mapcode National: GBR 29.LRSK

Mapcode Global: WH6RV.KJ5N

Entry Name: 465 and 467 High Street and Malcolm's House with Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 27 February 1997

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 390741

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44047

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkcaldy

County: Fife

Town: Kirkcaldy

Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kirkcaldy

Description

Earlier 19th century, Swanston & Syme alterations 1905; Malcolm's House free standing in close to rear, 18th century.

HIGH STREET PROPERTY: 3-storey with attic, 3-bay small tenement with shop at ground. Stone cleaned, coursed and squared rubble with painted margins and quoin strips. 1st floor cornice and eaves lintel course. Rounded corner corbelled to square above ground to outer right.

S (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: ground floor shop with door to centre and flanking bipartite windows, pend entrance with timber door and deep plate glass fanlight to outer left. 3 regular bays to 1st and 2nd floors, slated dormer windows over outer bays flanking 4 rooflights at centre.

N ELEVATION: variety of elements including projecting cat-slide roof breaking eaves to centre and piended dormer window over right bay.

MALCOLM'S HOUSE: 18th century, possibly incorporating 17th century fabric. Single storey rubble cottage with cellar, probably former laigh floor.

S ELEVATION: cellar door to centre and window in bay to right; curved stone forestair (on brick plinth) to left of centre leading to door with adjacent window to left and further window to right, 2 traditional rooflights in roof.

N ELEVATION: steps up to door off-centre right, small window beyond to right and lean-to extension to left; 2 modern Velux windows and small rooflight above.

W ELEVATION: recessed face to left of centre with small window close to ground and carved lintel '17 JA(?)' anchor 'BL(orS) 97' over door in adjoining boundary wall to outer left.

Plate glass glazing in modern timber frames. Grey slates. Broad ashlar and brick stacks with cans. Malcolm's House with 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows to S, 6-pane in top-opening timber window to N; grey slates; coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and ashlar-coped skews.

INTERIOR: Malcolm's House, open-plan ground floor with spiral cast-iron stair to attic.

BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls.

Statement of Interest

Together with similar buildings at Nos 469-473 and 475-479 (both listed separately), Malcolm's House (to the rear of Nos 465 and 467) faces the original High Street route, on a course from Malcolm's Wynd to the W. "Provost Malcolm was engaged in a firm of shipowners and builders; in 1825 he had six ships, the largest fleet owned by a Kirkcaldy man", BURGH SURVEY. Malcolm's House was the Pilot's House and one time residence of John Malcolm, shipowner and merchant. The dated lintel is thought to have been sited originally at what is now the cellar entrance. The 1905 alterations were carried out for Mr James Johnston.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.