History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

132 High Street

A Category B Listed Building in Kirkcaldy, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1101 / 56°6'36"N

Longitude: -3.1585 / 3°9'30"W

OS Eastings: 328050

OS Northings: 691418

OS Grid: NT280914

Mapcode National: GBR 29.M4C5

Mapcode Global: WH6RV.GP59

Entry Name: 132 High Street

Listing Date: 18 January 1994

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 390749

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44054

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkcaldy

County: Fife

Town: Kirkcaldy

Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kirkcaldy

Description

Late 18th century with later alterations. 2-storey, single-bay shop and storerooms (originally living accommodation). Rendered rubble with raised stone margins. Segmental-arched, keystoned window, rounded storm gable.

N (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: glazed and tiled 1980s shopfront at ground with commemorative plaque (see Notes) to tiled pier at outer right. 1st floor with 1930s raised centre tripartite window.

S ELEVATION: 2-storey bow-ended (storm gabled) wing advanced to outer right with gablehead stack. Return to left with asymmetrical fenestration including windows enlarged at ground and windows at 1st floor breaking eaves in catslide dormers. Single storey pitch-roofed addition adjoining to S.

Large plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows to N; small-pane fixed timber windows to S. Grey slates. Coped gablehead stack.

INTERIOR: much altered.

Statement of Interest

Listed category B in consideration of the unusual bowed elevation and the historical connections noted below. The house above the shop and to the rear was, until 1920, No 130; access to the house was via a pend, now infilled. The plaque mentioned above commemorates Marjory Fleming the famous child writer (later known as "Pet Marjorie") who was born here in 1803; she died in 1811. The building housed a museum from 1914 until 1920 when it was sold to A K Melville, Outfitter.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.