This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1103 / 56°6'37"N
Longitude: -3.158 / 3°9'28"W
OS Eastings: 328084
OS Northings: 691439
OS Grid: NT280914
Mapcode National: GBR 29.M4GD
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.GPF4
Entry Name: 152 High Street, New Club with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 28 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390750
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44055
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
Circa 1830; new billiard room W Barnet Wyllis 1919; altered 1927. 2- and 3-storey with cellar, 3-bay, platform-roofed, classical house with Greek Doric porch. Polished ashlar. Base and 1st floor cill courses, eaves cornice and blocking course. Architraved windows.
N ELEVATION: steps with low flanking walls lead to portico with 2-leaf panelled timber door and 4-pane fanlight, windows in flanking bays, that to left over 2-leaf cellar door, and further window in recessed flat-roofed extension to outer left; regular fenestration to 1st floor.
S ELEVATION: piend-roofed brick building adjoining at ground, window to centre at 1st floor and window in bay to right, 3 further windows to 2nd floor.
E ELEVATION: largely blank with window to right of centre at 2nd floor.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Cavetto coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans and ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: decorative plasterwork cornicing and ceiling roses; ground floor shutters steel lined. Mosaic pattern to vestibule floor with broad panelled door to left (probably entrance to former banking hall); inner hall with corniced and pilastered doorcase and decorative astragalled 2-leaf door; stone staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail, and coloured, margined and etched stair windows. 1st floor with segmental-headed doorway, decorative marble fireplace and panelled shutters. Billiard room to rear with timber dado, picture rails, decorative fireplace and coloured glass in Art Nouveau detail small-pane windows.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls.
The New Club officially opened at the former Commercial Bank House on 4th December 1919, the premises having been purchased in November of the previous year. A new billiard room was built in 1919 and the premises extended again in 1927. Previous Dean of Guild records probably refer to the former premises at 152 High Street (listed separately) where the club existed from 1887 until 1919. Prior to this date, and from its inception in 1811, the club, founded as the 'Coffee Room Association of Kirkcaldy', was housed at the old Dunnikier House in Oswald's Wynd.
Other nearby listed buildings