History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

192-196 (Even Nos) High Street

A Category B Listed Building in Kirkcaldy, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1113 / 56°6'40"N

Longitude: -3.1574 / 3°9'26"W

OS Eastings: 328120

OS Northings: 691547

OS Grid: NT281915

Mapcode National: GBR 29.LYDP

Mapcode Global: WH6RV.GNPD

Entry Name: 192-196 (Even Nos) High Street

Listing Date: 27 February 1997

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 390755

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44061

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkcaldy

County: Fife

Town: Kirkcaldy

Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kirkcaldy

Description

Robert Little, Kirkcaldy, 1893-5. 3-storey, 3-bay tenement with shop at ground and 1st floor. Balustrade with carved griffins. Stone cleaned ashlar. Corniced 1st and 2nd floors and eaves cornice with fluted mutules. Shouldered tripartites in dentilled elliptical and basket-arched surrounds; engaged colonnettes with foliate capitals; dogtooth moulding to all tripartite windows; tabbed and architraved surrounds, moulded brackets. Voussoirs, chamfered arrises and stone mullions.

NORTH (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Display windows of modern shop at ground, door to outer left. 1st floor centre bay with advanced tripartite window and elliptical arch springing from flanking pilasters with fish-scale detail to base, foliate panels in spandrels; canted tripartite windows in flanking bays and outer pilaster strips. 2nd floor with advanced tripartite window to centre, bracketed bipartite windows in flanking bays and outer pilaster strips. Balustrade with cartouche lettered 'B & M' in segmental panel at centre, flanking square dies with carved eagles (flagpoles behind), circular interlocking balusters and ball-finialled dies over outer bays.

Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. Cavetto coped ashlar stacks with some cans.

INTERIOR: dog-leg stair with cast-iron barley-twist balusters with timber handrail.

Statement of Interest

Built for Barnet and Morton's (established 1856) hardware and engineering firm which ceased trading in the 1980s, having left this building somewhat earlier. Robert Little's drawing shows urns (instead of eagles) flanking the centre pediment with anthemion detail.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.