This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.108 / 56°6'28"N
Longitude: -3.1605 / 3°9'37"W
OS Eastings: 327921
OS Northings: 691192
OS Grid: NT279911
Mapcode National: GBR 29.M3XC
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.FQ7W
Entry Name: High Street and Whytehouse Avenue, West End Congregational Church
Listing Date: 27 February 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390760
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44066
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
1874. Gothic church with tower, 5-bay aisled nave with angle buttresses. Squared and snecked rubble on stugged ashlar 1st stage, polished ashlar dressings with stugged ashlar quoins. Single and 2-stage sawtooth-coped buttresses; chamfered ashlar base course on rubble bed, moulded stringcourse incorporating hoodmould and architraved cornice. Pointed-arch openings, hoodmoulds, stop-chamfered reveals and stone mullions.
S (PRINCIPAL, HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: 2-stage gabled bay to centre with steps up to deeply moulded doorway with modern glazed doors and flanking adjacent lights, stepped 5-light window at 2nd stage with Celtic cross finial; 3-stage buttress of tower (see below) to right and 2-stage buttress to left; slightly recessed bay beyond to left with paired lancet, and further 2-stage buttress to outer left.
SE TOWER: 2-stage tower with spire: tall 1st stage engaged to N and W; S elevation with string course below paired lancet with hoodmould at 1st batter of flanking 2-stage buttresses, deep glazed quatrefoil at head of stage between buttresses' 2nd batter; E elevation with deep-set 2-leaf boarded timber door and decorative cast-iron hinges, string course extending from hoodmould and quatrefoil at head of stage as at S. Sawtooth-coped batter giving way to polygonal 2nd stage with gablet-coped, crocket-finialled, louvered lancet to each face and polygonal spire with narrow decorative band and cast-iron finial.
N ELEVATION: gabled bay with stepped triple lancet stained glass windows.
E (WHYTEHOUSE AVENUE) ELEVATION: 5-bay nave with dividing single stage buttresses and 2 small louvered dormer gablets above.
W ELEVATION: as above but with blinded door to outer right in gabled bay with flanking buttresses, and lower extension (hall) projecting to outer left.
Leaded glass with coloured margins; stained glass to N window. Grey slates. Coped ashlar skews with square and gablet skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: galleried. Narthex with paired cast-iron columns supporting flanking stone stairs with decorative-cast-iron balusters and timber handrails; shouldered doorways and decorative cornicing. Nave and side aisles with panelled ceiling; polygonal cast-iron columns carrying timber gallery to S, E and W; arcade of pointed arches springing from stiff-leaf capitals. Timber bench pews to nave, tiered pews with panelled fronts to galleries. Pointed-arch, panelled timber doors flanking panelled base of pipe organ at N behind 2 timber balustered flights of steps with ball-finialled newel posts flanking canted pulpit with pointed-arch sounding board; stained glass window over 'framed' by pipe organ. Aediculed War Memorial plaque to NE.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Pipe organ installed circa 1920 at which time a brass lectern was removed. The E wall was rebuilt in 1982 after fabric damage, the side pews were removed at this time. The Congregational Church had a number of meeting places, including an upstairs room in a flax dressers home and Cowan Street Chapel, before moving to this site in 1874.
Other nearby listed buildings