This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1044 / 56°6'15"N
Longitude: -3.166 / 3°9'57"W
OS Eastings: 327570
OS Northings: 690793
OS Grid: NT275907
Mapcode National: GBR 29.MGNW
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.BTLN
Entry Name: 69-81 (Odd Nos) Milton Road and Munro Street with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 27 February 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390766
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44073
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
Swanston and Legge, 1898: J D Swanston alterations to Redholm (No 69) 1903; minor later alterations. 2-storey and attic, terrace of 7 villas on corner site. Bull-faced ashlar with contrasting red sandstone ashlar dressings. Half-timbered jettied 1st floor and attic with oriel window; Rosemary-tiled arcaded porches. Stone mullions, stop-chamfered arrises.
E ELEVATION, NO 69 (PRINCIPAL): bipartite window to advanced centre bay of ashlar ground floor below brackets to jettied 1st floor, wide doorway with 2-leaf, part-glazed timber door on return to left with large corbelled bracket to right and further bracket above; 1st floor with decorative band below 4 small windows and further jettied gablehead with tripartite oriel window. Bay to left with bipartite window at ground and smaller tripartite above; small single storey, harled, polygonal extension (1990s) in re-entrant angle to right with window above and 2 slightly lower bays (1903?) beyond to right each with window at ground and bipartite at 1st floor.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 13-bay (grouped 4-4-4-1).
NO 69: broad, higher gabled bay with full-height canted tripartite window and blocking course below small window in gablehead.
NOS 71 AND 73: centre bays with 2-leaf timber door to right and modern timber door to left flanking 2 small windows, all behind 4-arch porch with swept-roof adjoining cills of 2 wide tripartite windows close to eaves at 1st floor; canted tripartite window to each floor at outer left, 1st floor windowhead breaking eaves into polygonal roof; slightly advanced tripartite window with cornice and blocking course to outer right, windowhead of bipartite above breaking eaves into half-timbered gablet.
NOS 75 AND 77: as above with 2-leaf timber door to No 75 and part- glazed modern door to No 77.
NOS 79 AND 81: as above but both with modern doors and large bay (balancing outer right bay) to outer left with canted tripartite windows breaking eaves line into gablehead with small window above.
W ELEVATION, NO 81: asymmetrical fenestration with truncated, shouldered wallhead stack off-centre right.
Small-pane glazing pattern over 2-pane lower sashes in timber sash and case windows, except No 69 E with coloured and leaded glass to centre bay and 4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows to outer right bays. Modern glazing to No 81. Rosemary tiles. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans, ashlar-coped skews with decorative skewputts and cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and fixings. Overhanging eaves with exposed beams and plain bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: only those below seen: No 69: polygonal hall with open-beamed ceiling, coloured leaded glass to bipartite window and door glazing (vestibule door with modern glass), and carved timber fireplace with lintel inscription 'EAST WEST HOMES BEST' and blue Delft tiles. Timber stair with ball-finialled newels and decorative cast-iron bell-pulls to panelled dado. Honeycomb plaster ceiling panelling, plain cornice and picture rail to ground floor sitting room (S).
No 81: dentilled cornice, picture rail and cast-iron horseshoe fireplace with timber surround to ground floor sitting room.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low saddleback-coped rubble boundary walls to S and E; higher coped rubble boundary walls elsewhere.
Redholm (No 69) was the home of J D Swanston prior to his move to
8 Townsend Crescent. Dining room and front door formerly glazed with coloured leaded glass.
Other nearby listed buildings