This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1042 / 56°6'15"N
Longitude: -3.1672 / 3°10'1"W
OS Eastings: 327497
OS Northings: 690775
OS Grid: NT274907
Mapcode National: GBR 29.MGD5
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.BT1S
Entry Name: 85 and 87 Milton Road, Maryfield, with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Lamp Bracket
Listing Date: 27 February 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390770
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44079
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
Later 19th century, converted to 2 houses 1935. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, piend and platform-roofed classical villa. Channelled ashlar to front with dressed squared and snecked rubble to sides and rear, raised long and short quoins. Deep base course, dividing course and cavetto eaves cornice. Architraved surrounds, some lugged; brackets, voussoirs and stone mullions.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay with pilastered doorpiece and moulded brackets (2 per side) supporting stone balcony, keystoned round-headed window (former door) and floreate detail to spandrels, tripartite window in bay to right and canted tripartite window to left (both slightly advanced): window to centre at 1st floor with stone balcony, tripartite window to right and further canted tripartite window with polygonal roof to left.
N ELEVATION: single-storey, piend-roofed former stable/gig-house (see Notes) to right of centre and extending to outer right at ground, and further projection (former wash-house) to left. 1st floor with round- headed stair window to centre bay, flanking small windows and further windows to outer bays; wallhead stacks above flank canted, tripartite, slate-hung dormer window at centre.
E ELEVATION (NO 85): asymmetrical fenestration (all windows tall) with door to centre and truncated, shouldered wallhead stack.
W ELEVATION (NO 87): as E elevation but with small timber dormer window immediately to right of shouldered, wallhead stack.
4-pane pattern and plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with full complement of polygonal cans to No 87; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hopper.
INTERIOR: No 85: some decorative plasterwork.
No 87: decorative plasterwork; ground floor sitting room with panelled ceiling, architraved doorway with thistle detail to lugs, carved timber fireplace and panelled shutters.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND LAMP BRACKET: semi-circular-coped rubble boundary walls with cavetto-corniced channelled ashlar gatepiers and quadrant walls. Large, cast-iron S scroll lamp bracket to SE boundary with No 83 (listed separately).
Built for William Hendry, owner of Hendry's Spinning Mill of 1856 (now The Foyer, listed separately), Maryfield remained in the family until the 1930s. In 1935 it was converted, by J C Rolland who lived in No 87 which was subsequently the home of Provost James Gourlay. No 85 was purchased by Tullis Russell, papermakers from Markinch, Fife. The 2nd OS shows Maryfield's original layout with aviary and gig house to the west, and with a gazebo to the NW corner of the rear garden, this polygonal timber structure with lattice front and pediment remains as it was built.
Other nearby listed buildings