This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1038 / 56°6'13"N
Longitude: -3.1669 / 3°10'0"W
OS Eastings: 327514
OS Northings: 690726
OS Grid: NT275907
Mapcode National: GBR 29.MGGJ
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.BV54
Entry Name: 74 and 76 Milton Road, West Holme and Fairview, with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 21 January 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390778
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44084
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, 1878. 2-storey and attic, 6-bay, gabled double villa. Rock-faced, squared rubble with long and short polished ashlar quoins and dressings. Roll-moulded doorway to W; chamfered reveals and arrises, stone transoms and mullions.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical, steeply pitched M-gabled elevation. No 74 to left of centre with lean-to slated, stone porch, 3-part leaded window at centre, 2-part leaded window on return to right and step up to broad panelled timber door on return to left, adjacent windows in flanking bays; 1st floor with bipartite window in bay to right, narrow window off-centre left and further window to outer left; tripartite window framed by decorative timber surround to finialled gablehead. No 76 mirrors No 74.
S ELEVATION: near symmetrical M-gabled elevation. No 76 to left of centre with tripartite window below relieving arch in bay to right and window to left at ground; 1st floor with bipartite window to right of centre and further window to left. Finialled gablehead with chequered timberwork framing centre window, narrower window to left and French window to right; deeply overhanging eaves with decorative timberwork and verandah. No 74 mirrors No 76 but with additional conservatory projecting to right of centre.
W ELEVATION (NO 76): step up to panelled timber door with roll-moulded surround at centre, tiny adjacent window to right and narrow window to left over head of basement window, slightly advanced full- height chimney breast in bay to right with traditional pitch-roofed conservatory projecting to outer right. 1st floor with large transomed stair window to right of centre, projecting chimney breast beyond to right and small window close to eaves in bay to left. Low, 4-part dormer window to centre above and dominant chimney gablet to right with blind panel and raked to stack.
E ELEVATION (NO 74): ground floor centre bay with step up to panelled timber door and tiny adjacent window to left, narrow window to right and modern garage (not included in this listing) in bay to left: large transomed stair window off-centre left at 1st floor with slightly advanced stack beyond to left and small window close to eaves to right; attic as W elevation but with stack to right.
6-, 8- and 9-pane glazing patterns over plate glass lower sashes in timber sash and case windows; stair and porch windows with small pane leaded and coloured glass, stair window to No 74 with figured and floral designs, and margined. Grey slates, coped ashlar stacks with cans and pierced terracotta ridge tiles.
INTERIOR NO 76: fine original interior throughout with panelled timber doors and some decorative cornices; timber stair with turned balusters and coloured glass window; variety of timber fireplaces with decorative tile slips. Dado rail, brass picture rails and door furniture to principal ground floor room; paired ceramic butler sink to basement.
INTERIOR NO 74: not seen.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped rubble and brick boundary walls; coped ashlar stop-chamfered gatepiers.
John Hogarth, miller and corn merchant of West Mills, purchased ground from Munro Ferguson of Raith in 1878 on which to build a "double villa"; that to the W was named "Fairview" for his third wife Christian Fair (died 1899). That to the, E "West Holme", is thought to have been built for his daughter who became Mrs Cooke, with a less ornate interior (not viewed 1996) it was sold in 1888 for ?1,000; in 1957 it was an architectural practice and is now divided with offices at ground and dwelling above. Immediately S of the garden was Methven Road Farm. No 74 (the E building) may have become West Holme after changing hands in 1888 when it is thought to have been purchased by a member of the Young family whose property "Abbotsford" (No 72) is situated to the E.
Other nearby listed buildings