This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1083 / 56°6'29"N
Longitude: -3.1586 / 3°9'31"W
OS Eastings: 328039
OS Northings: 691215
OS Grid: NT280912
Mapcode National: GBR 29.M4BR
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.GQ3P
Entry Name: 13 Charlotte St
Listing Date: 27 February 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390787
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44095
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
1850. Single storey and basement, flat-roofed classical school with Roman Doric portico. Stone-cleaned ashlar, channelled in places. High basement, cill course, cornice, blocking course and cavetto coping. Paired pilasters, Doric columns on square plinths; bracketed windows.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps up to 3-bay portico with columns flanking pedimented centre bay and paired columns to outer corners; centre door, windows in flanking bays and dividing pilasters, 2 windows to left with paired pilasters beyond, mirrored to right but with further window and door in extension to outer right.
W (CHARLOTTE STREET) ELEVATION: 4-bay. Steps up to door at outer left, 3 windows to right and paired pilasters to outer corners.
Small-pane glazing pattern in fixed timber windows with modern canopies. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: not seen (1996).
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: saddleback-coped ashlar boundary walls and square pyramidal-capped gatepiers, that to left with plaque commemorating the school "Kirkcaldy Philp School 1850-90" and its donor "Bailie Robert Philp 1751-1828".
In 1830 The Philp School opened in Charlotte Street, moving into this building in 1850 and closing in 1891. The building has since been used in a number of ways, including a Masonic Hall, restaurant and currently (1996) a night club. The commemorative plaque was erected by the Kirkcaldy Civic Society in 1992. The columns are made of ashlar but painted to resemble marble (as scagliola).
Other nearby listed buildings