This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1096 / 56°6'34"N
Longitude: -3.161 / 3°9'39"W
OS Eastings: 327893
OS Northings: 691370
OS Grid: NT278913
Mapcode National: GBR 29.M3SH
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.DPZN
Entry Name: Whytecauseway, Baptist Church
Listing Date: 27 February 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390801
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44107
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
1854. Box church with Tudor detail and spirelet fleche, 3-bay aisless nave with canted side chapels to E. Ashlar with coursed rubble and dressed quoins to sides and rear. Base course, moulded string course and cornice to W; eaves course. Pointed-arch openings, hoodmoulds, stone mullions and chamfered reveals.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical gable elevation. Deeply moulded doorway at centre with hoodmould, trefoil detail in spandrels and decorative cast-iron lamp bracket, hoodmoulded lancets in flanking bays and raised centre 3-light window in gablehead.
FLECHE: 3-stage, finialled fleche to centre of roof ridge. Tall, battered plinth with louvered 2nd stage giving way to spire with gablet to each face and decorative cast-iron finial.
S ELEVATION: 3 windows to left and polygonal-roofed canted bay to outer right with traceried window to projecting face and smaller windows on returns. Low flat-roofed extension to outer right.
N ELEVATION: mirrors S elevation.
Multi-pane leaded glazing with coloured margins. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stack, ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: pointed-arch openings; panelled ceiling with plain cornicing, decorative bosses and air vents; decorative plasterwork window margins and boarded dado panelling. Vestibule with stairs to right and left, decorative cast-iron, and timber war memorial. Timber bench pews,
2 cast-iron columns with floreate capitals supporting gallery with carved panels to front and clock at centre, raked pews and decorative cast-iron window-guards. Raised chancel area with broad pulpit and sounding board carved with blind arcading, traceried stained glass memorial window above, flanking pipe organ (console to left) and broad arched side chapels.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. After seceding from the Rose Street Chapel in 1852, 34 members met regularly in the Philp School. By the end of November a new site had been chosen and work was complete by the summer of 1854, having cost ?2,000. The gallery was begun in 1879 and opened on 6th April, 1880; and a hall, minister's room, ladies' room and kitchen were built on the church garden in 1890. The choice of site was regretted because some members of the congregation had formerly used this space to eat lunch between Sunday services, calling it 'the love feast'. A further small hall was added in 1907. The memorial window was donated by the widow of Robert Herriott (died 1924), former church treasurer. The pipe organ by Messrs Blackett and Howden of Newcastle-upon-Tyne was installed in April 1925.
Other nearby listed buildings