This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8833 / 55°52'59"N
Longitude: -3.1152 / 3°6'54"W
OS Eastings: 330332
OS Northings: 666133
OS Grid: NT303661
Mapcode National: GBR 60PD.CV
Mapcode Global: WH6T1.3DT4
Entry Name: Lasswade, High Street, Brigdgend House
Listing Date: 7 March 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390836
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44139
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Bonnyrigg and Lasswade
Town: Bonnyrigg And Lasswade
Electoral Ward: Bonnyrigg
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 19th century with later alterations and additions. 2-storey, with basement, canted symmetrical 3-bay, square-plan toll house, with single storey, rendered and harled lean-to garage to W. Stugged ashlar sandstone to ground; droved ashlar sandstone to 1st floor; droved long and short surrounds to openings to principal elevation; raised margins to openings to rear; base course; band course between ground and 1st floor; eaves course; raised cills to 1st floor windows.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced central bay; pilastered and corniced doorpiece with modern casement window in place of door; window at 1st floor above. Modern glass block basement window in bay to right; replacement windows at ground in flanking; single windows at 1st floor above.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay with modern part-glazed entrance porch to left of centre; stair window to true centre above. Modern window at ground in bay to left; window (blinded) at 1st floor above. Modern glass-block basement window in bay to right; single window at ground and 1st floor above.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular 3-bay. Square-plan porch to centre: partly glazed boarded door with another to right return; window at each floor above porch to right of centre. Modern window to basement in bay to left; irregularly disposed windows at each floor above. Window at 1st floor in bay to outer right.
2-pane timber sash and case windows at 1st floor to principal elevation; variety of glazing patterns elsewhere; piended grey slate roof; monopitch roof to garage; flat roof to rear porch; replaced ashlar, coped gablehead stack to W; harled and ashlar coped wallhead stack to N; wallhead angled die to outer right to S; cast-iron rainwater goods.
Located on central axis with the bridge, giving credence to the idea that it was once the associated toll house. Indeed, on 9th February 1820 the Minute book records that discussions were taking place as to the future of the tollbars at Newtonloan and Kirkbull; it was decided that they should be given up and that a new toll house was required at Lasswade, "to be erected in proper time". No further reference seems to be made to such a tollhouse, and it must be assumed that the present structure is a result of this decision. A photograph from 1952, (Cairns) shows the door to the principal elevation was in place at that time. It replaced an earlier tollhouse for the bridge. Bridge listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings