This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5501 / 55°33'0"N
Longitude: -2.8398 / 2°50'23"W
OS Eastings: 347112
OS Northings: 628807
OS Grid: NT471288
Mapcode National: GBR 84L8.Z8
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.BRYL
Entry Name: Viewfield (Andrew Lang Unit), with Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 14 April 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390873
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44179
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Earlier 19th century with later alterations and additions. Single storey with basement, 9-bay classical house sited on falling ground (basement of SE is ground of NW) with later 4-bay group set back slightly to left. Stugged ashlar with polished ashlar dressings to SE (principal) elevation, with pebbledashed later addition; pebbledash with droved ashlar dressings to NW elevation. Band course between basement and ground of SE elevation; base course to NW elevation; eaves course and quoin strips.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5-bay group to centre advanced slightly.
7 steps oversailing basement to panelled door with rectangular plate glass fanlight above, set in half-fluted Doric columned and pedimented doorpiece. Window to immediate left. Window to each flanking bay, blinded window at ground and basement of bay to inner right. 2-bay pavilions flanking 5-bay group with window in each bay at ground and basement. Window to each bay of 1st floor of addition to outer left with modern single storey addition projecting at ground.
NW ELEVATION: 3-bay group to centre, flanked by 2-storey canted bay pavilions and later 4-bay group set back to outer right. Bay to centre of 3-bay group pilastered and pedimented with roundel and shield to centre; modern glazed 2-leaf door at ground with window at 1st floor above. Window at ground of each flanking bays with later tripartite window at 1st floor of each. Window to outer left at ground, and corniced doorpiece to panelled door with rectangular fanlight above to outer right. Window to each floor of canted bay. Glazed door with rectangular fanlight above to centre at ground of canted bay to right, at 1st floor to right; and at 1st floor, to left of canted bay to left. Window to each bay of later addition to each floor, blinded in bay to inner left. (Further modern brick platform-roofed addition to outer right with 2-leaf door).
Variety of windows, including 12-, 9- and 4- pane, and plate glass timber sash and case windows. Slate roof. Ashlar coped stacks.
INTERIOR: little surviving. Cast-iron banister from basement to ground in situ.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: to N. Square-plan ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal coping. Rubble boundary wall along NE boundary with rounded coping.
In 1823, the house is shown to be occupied by "Ro Henderson Esq". There appears to be a pond, or formal garden to SE where Victoria Halls now stands. Birthplace of Andrew Lang (1844-1912), poet, essayist and collector of folk tales. The House was used in 1921 by Dr Graham as a nursing home. Due to financial difficulties, it was in 1922 bought by the Misses McGregor to run a private nursing home. By the early 1930s it was being run entirely as a local Fund-paid hospital, until 1948, when the NHS was sent up and took over the hospital. The map of 1930 shows that the addition to SW had been built. The windows at basement and ground, to immediate right of centre were not blinded in 1975-6. Although it is now much altered the property is of interest for its classical detailing and historic association.
Other nearby listed buildings