This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7842 / 55°47'3"N
Longitude: -2.2337 / 2°14'1"W
OS Eastings: 385440
OS Northings: 654568
OS Grid: NT854545
Mapcode National: GBR D1VK.6C
Mapcode Global: WH9Y7.NWJ4
Entry Name: Allanbank Courtyard, Former Steading
Listing Date: 26 March 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390985
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44450
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Circa 1780 with 1820 alterations (dated) and further modern alterations. Quadrangular-plan (originally U-plan) 2-storey classically detailed steading, converted for commercial and domestic use in recent years. Sandstone rubble with droved ashlar dressings.
N RANGE: N ELEVATION: 5-bay with round-arched pend-entrance (leading to courtyard and formerly with 2-leaf gates) to centre with Venetian window at 1st floor above, keystoned, round-arched central light and blinded flanking lights, breaking eaves with pediment and ashlar urn finial above. Window at 1st floor of flanking inner bays. Window to each floor of bay to outer left with further (possibly later) window at ground to outer left. 2-leaf boarded door with timber lintel at ground of bay to outer right with window at 1st floor above.
S (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: 5-bay with round-arched opening at ground with impost-stones and keystone; ashlar dormerhead with broke segmental- pediment (currently partly-obscured with vegetation, 1996). Segmental-arched openings to flanking bays with 2-leaf boarded doors. Modern glazed door in bay to outer right. Blinded door at ground of bay to outer left.
E RANGE: E ELEVATION: 5-bay (irregular). Window to each floor of bay to centre and to inner left. Modern glazed door with 3-pane rectangular fanlight in bay to inner right with window at 1st floor above; window flanking to right at ground. Window to each floor of bay to outer right with modern glazed door (as above) flanking to left at ground. Modern timber conservatory at ground of bay to outer left with window at 1st floor above.
W (COURTYARD) ELEVATION): 4-bay (irregular). Partly-blinded elliptical-arched opening at ground of bay to inner and outer left with window; window between each bay at 1st floor. Modern glazed door (as before at ground to inner right with non-aligned window at 1st floor above. Rubble forestair (running N-S) with concrete treads in bay to outer right; window at 1st floor flanked to outer right (at top of stairs) by modern glazed door.
S RANGE: S ELEVATION: 7-bay. Elliptical-arched pend-opening with impost-stones and keystone (entrance to courtyard) with window above at 1st floor, as at 1st floor of bay to centre of N range, N elevation, without finial. Window to each floor of all flanking bays, except modern glazed door (as before) at ground of bay to outer left with small window flanking to left at ground.
N (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: 5-bay. Elliptical-arched opening to centre at ground, with impost-stones and keystone; window at 1st floor above, flanked by windows, positioned nearer to eaves. Window at 1st floor of bay to inner left. Modern round-arched opening at ground with impost- stones and keystone of bay to inner right with modern glazed door to E return; window at 1st floor above. Modern glazed door at 1st floor of bay to outer left (at top of forestair). Modern split boarded and glazed door at 1st floor of bay to outer right (at top of forestair).
W RANGE: W ELEVATION: 7-bay (irregular); much altered in recent years, 1996. Recently-constructed elliptical-arched opening at ground to centre with 2-leaf modern glazed door with radial fanlight; window at 1st floor above. Window to each floor of inner bays and in bay to outer left. Window at 1st floor of penultimate bay to left. Window at ground of penultimate bay to right. Window at ground of bay to outer right with timber-mullioned bipartite window (enlarged opening) at 1st floor above. E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: irregular 4-bay. Partly-blinded window at ground of bay to inner left with window at 1st floor above. Modern elliptical-arched opening at ground of bay to inner right (as to W range, W elevation). Forestair (running N-S, as to E range, W elevation); partly-blinded door opening at 1st floor, outer left with window. Window to each floor of bay to outer right.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof with rendered coped stacks.
INTERIOR: altered. Ashlar datestone (1820) in place to internal wall at 1st floor, centre of N range; ashlar nesting boxes of doocot to S room of N range to centre (flight hope to dormerhead).
There is a ruinous harl-pointed rubble cottage sited to NE of the steading, 1996. Single storey open implement lean-to shed to NW, abutting walled garden (see separate listing) with cast-iron columns. The steading was commissioned, circa 1780, by the owner of Allanbank, Sir Robert Steuart, who had been particularly impressed by the farms that he had seen in France. This might explain the advanced form and French style of the building. The construction of the roof (the W and E ranges had piended ends) indicates that the N range was indeed added later. The forestairs were originally running along the N elevation of S range, being altered, as seen now, during 19th century, possibly when the N range was being constructed. The doocot is a fine, fairly large example for a steading and is an interesting survival. The steading had been allowed fall into great disrepair during this century, after the sale of the Blackadder estate in 1925. Although converted, which has lead to inevitable alterations, their form is respectful of the building's integrity and original purpose and it remains of historical and architectural interest and merit. Coped quadrant walls with square-plan pyrmaidal-coped gatepiers, formerly the principle entrance to Allanbank (demolished) are still extant to E of courtyard.
Other nearby listed buildings