This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7498 / 55°44'59"N
Longitude: -2.2956 / 2°17'44"W
OS Eastings: 381543
OS Northings: 650753
OS Grid: NT815507
Mapcode National: GBR D1DY.TP
Mapcode Global: WH8X8.QR20
Entry Name: 1-5 (Inclusive Nos) Sinclair's Hill with Water Pump
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391085
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44513
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Earlier to mid 19th century. Picturesque, irregular single storey and attic row of 5, 3-bay Cotswold Tudor style Kimmerghame estate cottages. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, chamfered arrises, stone mullions. No 1 to left, No 5 to right of principal elevation.
PRINCIPAL ELEVATION: No 1 with canted stone 4-light window at ground to outer left rising to gabled wallhead dormer, swept to square, door flanking to right 3-light window to right. No 2 with tripartite window to left and stone, gabled wallhead dormer above with bipartite window (curvilinear and finialled gable), gabled canopy to door at centre, with ball finial and arrowslit in gablehead, bipartite window to right. No 3 with bipartite window to left and plain gabled bipartite stone dormer above, advanced pair of gabled bays to centre and right with pentice canopied door to left and canted 4-light window to right, bridged above by small bipartite window surmounted by hoodmould overstepping 3 monogram-carved shield panels. No 4 with tripartite window to left and in plain gabled wallhead dormer above, door in advanced gable with shoulder-arched lintel, flanked to right by bipartite window. No 5 to outer right with tripartite window in advanced panel to left, semicircular pedimented stone bipartite dormer above, door to centre given canopy by bridged lintel joined with advanced canted 5-light window to right, with bracketed eaves canopy and gabled tripartite dormer above.
Blank side gables.
REAR ELEVATION: gabled and catslide-roofed projections and further wallhead, gabled dormers.
Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing, Graded grey slate roofs. Sawtooth coping to skews and bracketed skewputts. Ridge and end gablehead stone stacks with battered coping.
WATER PUMP: cast-iron stand pump to road outside No 5. Slender fluted shaft with spout, broader cylindrical top with domed finial cap, and elegant pump handle.
Part of the Sinclair's Hill B Group with No 6, Nos 7-8 with Smithy and the Old School. The hamlet was apparently founded in 1751 by Sir Archibald James Murray of Nisbet, who then married into the Kimmerghame family. The cottages are very possibly the work of the Burn and Bryce practice who were involved on the estate in these years, or possibly George Smith who designed the North Lodge to Kimmerghame House in 1835, a one-time assistant to Burn.
Other nearby listed buildings