This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7905 / 55°47'25"N
Longitude: -2.229 / 2°13'44"W
OS Eastings: 385736
OS Northings: 655269
OS Grid: NT857552
Mapcode National: GBR D1WH.63
Mapcode Global: WH9Y7.QQR8
Entry Name: Stuartslaw, Steading
Listing Date: 26 March 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391090
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44517
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Dated 1858 with later additions and alterations. Steading with cartshed and granary and stables to centre, sited on land falling to N; crowstepped gables with castellated screenwalls flanking centre to ranges running N-S. Harl-pointed stugged sandstone ashlar with droved ashlar dressings.
S RANGE TO CENTRE: S ELEVATION: 9-bay, grouped 1-4-1-3. Single bay to centre, slightly advanced and flanked by equal length 4 and 3-bay groups, with further gabled bay to outer left. Advanced gabled bay to centre with segmental-arched opening to left at ground with 2-leaf boarded door; partly-glazed and partly boarded window opening to right at ground and to gablehead above; ashlar carved plaque to gablehead: "1858; RF to 1882; FWF to 1884; RJF to 1950; RF to 1986". Segmental arched cart opening at ground of each of 4-bay group to left with glazed and vented opening at 1st floor above each, except to bay to inner right. Glazed and vented window opening to each floor of bay to centre of 3-bay ground to right. Boarded door to each flanking bay (narrower in bay to left). Single storey single bay to outer left with boarded door with timber lintel flanked to right by glazed and boarded window opening. Rubble wall set back to N with rubble-surrounded round hole to left of ridge-line; castellated wallhead. Slate roof with round-plan ornamental ridge vent to outer right of 3-bay group.
N ELEVATION: 2 cattle courts projecting with timber lintel to double- door opening to centre of each, with further door to outer right of projection to left; rounded corners to NE and NW. Modern corrugated roofing, following line of original curved gablehead.
E RANGE: S ELEVATION: single storey and gabled with 2-leaf sliding boarded door. Castellated screenwall set back (at point marking change in ridge height), as to S range, S elevation, outer left, except with round opening either side of ridge-line. W ELEVATION: 6-bay. 3-bay group to right with glazed and vented window opening flanking split boarded door to centre. Split boarded door in bay to inner left. Boarded door in bay to penultimate left. Sliding boarded double door in bay to outer left. Modern cattle shed adjoining to N end of W elevation. E ELEVATION: single storey lean-to half-slated addition to right of S (lower ridged) part of range with boarded door to S return. Modern window in bay to outer left of higher-ridged N section. Remaining bays not seen, 1996. Slate roof with 2-pane rooflight to E of lower-ridged S section; 2 cat-slide vents close to ridge to W, one to E.
W RANGE: possibly former bagging and grain-storage barn. S ELEVATION: gabled and advanced from line of S range. Boarded door to left with blinded long opening to gablehead. Linking barn set back to E, joining outer left of S range with W range with boarded door to left.
W ELEVATION: 4-bay, grouped 1-3. Gabled barn to outer left (former threshing barn?) with double-door opening. Vented opening near eaves of each bay to right, with glazed and boarded window opening at ground to outer left. E ELEVATION: grouped to left with boarded door to centre flanked by windows (blinded to left). N ELEVATION: much altered. Masonry shows indication of flue to W, possibly suggesting that it had a stack (see Notes). Slate roof. with 2-pane flush 19th century rooflight to W.
The present occupant believes that the steading has always been oil powered, which would belie the need for a stack. However, as stated above, there is evidence of a flue which would have been linked to a stack. The steading has been much altered to N, with new sheds being erected and a certain amount of demolition of older buildings. However, the group is of great interest in its eccentric use of battlemented screenwalls to straddling each range flanking S range. The house is separately listed (see Stuartslaw, house). The farm was part of the Blackadder estate and was sold as a separate lot when the estate was divided in 1925. At that time the farm comprised just over 300 acres.