History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

38-40 Hutcheon Street

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1544 / 57°9'15"N

Longitude: -2.1028 / 2°6'10"W

OS Eastings: 393877

OS Northings: 807061

OS Grid: NJ938070

Mapcode National: GBR SBS.51

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.NFVQ

Entry Name: 38-40 Hutcheon Street

Listing Date: 16 June 1997

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 391136

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44554

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Old Aberdeen

Description

Circa 1830-40 with additions of 1830s. Multiple ranges of industrial and office buildings developed as comb works, and restored in 1970 following fire in 1969. Altered to offices in 1981. Original block L-plan, 3-storey and attic, 11 x 11-bay. Later additions forming courtyard. Plain granite rubble, slate roofs with Velux windows. Curved forestair with cast-iron railings on main front.

Gable elevation with corniced stack to Hutcheon Street with round-headed 1st and 2nd floor windows. Casement windows. Glazed ground floor openings on main return.

LAter additions: E wing with shaped, aedicule gable. Low single storey 'gateway' wings with later (?) dormers and ashlar-coped gables with corniced stacks on returns.

Ball-finialled entrance piers. Ashlar. Slate roofs. Sash and case windows. Setted courtyard.

INTERIOR: panelled 'private office' converted to board room. Interior not seen.

Statement of Interest

Stewart and Rowell's comb works was for many years the world's largest. In the 1880s, as SR Stewart and Co, the worls had been expanded with 'several large and commodious buildings of four storeys'. 900 hands worked on '100,000 horns per week, together with vast quantities of hoops, tortoiseshell and vulcanite.' In 1937 plastic injection was introduced. A fire in 1969 halved the length of the main range. In 1981 the works was converted to offices and wareousing for the Tyseal Group.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.