History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

134 Corstorphine Road, Edinburgh Zoo (Royal Zoological Society of Scotland) Members House Including Sundial

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9443 / 55°56'39"N

Longitude: -3.2704 / 3°16'13"W

OS Eastings: 320749

OS Northings: 673089

OS Grid: NT207730

Mapcode National: GBR 85J.1M

Mapcode Global: WH6SK.QVVD

Entry Name: 134 Corstorphine Road, Edinburgh Zoo (Royal Zoological Society of Scotland) Members House Including Sundial

Listing Date: 11 November 1997

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 391395

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44750

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Corstorphine/Murrayfield

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Cramond

Description

1793, with extensive additions and alterations; baronialised A W Macnaughton 1891. 2-storey, 3-bay classical villa baronialised and extended to E to form irregular-plan Scottish baronial mansion house. Rubble sandstone to 1793 house; squared, snecked and stugged red sandstone to later additions. Crowstepped gables; ball finial; crenellated parapets.

1793 HOUSE

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: base, cill and dividing band course. Crenellated 1891 porch at ground in bay to outer left, adjoining 1891 extension; Lugged architraved doorway with carved heraldic decorative crest set in pediment; 2-leaf panelled timber door; single window behind at 1st floor; crowstepped dormer above. Pilastered and corniced tripartite window at ground in advanced central bay; single window at 1st floor, flanked to left by small window; later stepped corbel table above single window set in gablehead. Single windows in both storeys to outer right.

S ELEVATION: base, cill and dividing band course. Perron staircase to doorway flanked by 2 single windows in bowed central bay; 3 single windows to 1st floor; corbel table to later 3rd floor, 3 roll-moulded windows; machicolated and crenallated parapet; circular-plan turret with similarly detailed parapet. Single windows to all floors in bay to left. Bay to outer right rebuilt 1891; tripartite window to principal floor; bipartite window to 1st-floor; single window breaking eaves in pedimented dormerhead.

1891 HOUSE

N ELEVATION: 3-storey, 2-bay. Stepped string course above ground floor; stepped corbel table above 1st floor. Stone mullions and transoms to windows. Crenellated 1891 porch set in re-entrant angle to 1793 house. Bipartite window at ground in bay to right; tripartite stair window above; single window breaking eaves, pedimented dormer head. Bay to left; bipartite window at ground and 1st floor; oriel window set in gablehead.

E ELEVATION: 2 crowstepped gable bays. Tripartite window to ground and 1st floor at bay to left; single pedimented window set in gable; bartisan with pepperpot roof. Roll-moulded doorway; fanlight to left; single window to outer right, at ground in bay to right. Dormer and single window at ground in bay to right; decorative carved pediment at window to first floor and to single windows set in gablehead; bartisan with pepperpot roof flanking bay to outer right; two gablehead stacks linked by machicolated parapet.

S ELEVATION: single bay to outer right. 2-storey, 4-light canted window; 2 single windows breaking eaves in pedimented dormers above; bartisan with pepperpot roof flanking to left. Single bay to outer left, 1793 house adjoining at ground. Single pedimented window in gable to left; two dormers breaking eaves to right.

W ELEVATION: M-gabled; 1793 house and later additions adjoining at ground. Single window at 2nd floor in central bay; flanking dormer windows breaking eaves.

SERVICE WING AND LATER ADDITIONS: lower 2-storey 1891 service wing adjoining 1793 house to W; single storey flat roofed cafeteria (Frank Mears, 1936-7); horizontal strip glazing divided by stylo pilasters to S elevation of cafeteria.

Variety of glazing patterns, predominantly in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roof; terracotta ridging; corniced gablehead stacks; moulded cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: glazed cupola to entrance lobby: highly decorative timber fireplace with corinthian columns and relief panel to stair-hall; turned timber balusters and decorative newel posts to main stair; stained glass windows depicting the Arts; timber dado panelling to ground floor; 1st floor restaurant, highly decorative plasterwork, cornice and frieze; elaborate rococo chimneypiece, overmantle mirror and panelling.

SUNDIAL: located to S of house; circular shaft; vertical dial and gnomon.

Statement of Interest

Formerly called Corstorphinehill House. William Keith built mansion house (now central portion) 1793. Despite subsequent additions, the house retains architectural interest. Externally of note, is the pilastered and corniced tripartite window of 1793 to the N, and Perron staircase to the S. Internally, the house has impressive stained glass windows, plasterwork and panelling.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.