History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

144 St John's Road and St Ninian's Road, St Ninian's Church Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9435 / 55°56'36"N

Longitude: -3.285 / 3°17'6"W

OS Eastings: 319837

OS Northings: 673015

OS Grid: NT198730

Mapcode National: GBR 82J.2X

Mapcode Global: WH6SK.HWX1

Entry Name: 144 St John's Road and St Ninian's Road, St Ninian's Church Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates

Listing Date: 11 November 1997

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 391405

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44758

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Corstorphine/Murrayfield

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Cramond

Description

1844, with extensive additions and alterations. Squared, coursed sandstone; sandstone ashlar dressings to openings. Base course; quoins; long and short surrounds; predominantly lancet arch openings; corbelled finials; gargoyles; banded spire; weather-vane.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced, buttressed gabled porch comprises decorated nook-shafted doorway; 2-leaf timber doors with decorative iron hinges; patera set in gable. Buttressed, gabled entrance porch set centrally within nave; single openings to left and right; decorative string course at springing of arch; rose window set in gable. Single quatrefoil opening at right and left, flanking entrance porch in gabled nave; single window at ground to left; single storey lean-to entrance at ground to right; 2-leaf timber doors; small arched openings aligned above. Stair-tower at outer right comprises single stained glass opening at 1st stage; stepped string course at 2nd stage; tripartite window above; columns flanked by diminutive leaded centre light; flanking lights blind; decorative band course; single pointed arched louvred opening beneath spire. East transept and hall at outer right; West transept and later 20th century additions to outer left.

Stained, leaded glazing. Graded slate grey roof; fleche; raised skews; bracketed eaves.

INTERIOR: largely refurbished 1953. Oak panelling to chancel; timber pews; stained glass windows; open braced timber roof.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped, stepped, rubble sandstone; cast-iron gatepiers and gates.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Externally, good High Victorian Gothic detailing, especially the gargoyles, rose window, decorative band and string courses.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.