This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8495 / 55°50'58"N
Longitude: -2.4939 / 2°29'38"W
OS Eastings: 369174
OS Northings: 661919
OS Grid: NT691619
Mapcode National: GBR C00S.WY
Mapcode Global: WH8WS.N7MK
Entry Name: Cranshaws Manse Including Outbuildings and Garden Walls, Boundary Wall, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 10 December 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391633
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44909
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Late 18th century possibly incorporating earlier fabric with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay plain classical style manse with gabled porch to front, 2-storey, 2-bay wing projecting at rear (forming near T-plan); single storey addition beyond. Harl-pointed rubble sandstone; droved sandstone dressings; whitewashed render to side elevation (E); harled rear elevation to projecting wing. Droved rubble quoins; droved long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills. Single storey, rectangular-plan outbuilding to SW.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single window in gabled porch projecting at centre; timber panelled door in return to left; single window aligned at 1st floor. Single windows at both floors in bays to outer left and right.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: original block with single window at ground off-set to left of centre. 2-storey wing recessed to left with piended, single storey conservatory off-set to left of centre; single windows at both floors in flanking bays. Single window centred in single storey wing to outer left.
Predominantly replacement 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; raised stone skews; predominantly replacement rainwater goods. Apex stacks to E (coursed sandstone) and W (rebuilt in brick); various circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1997.
OUTBUILDING, E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: harl-pointed rubble. Boarded timber garage door in bay to outer left; single window in penultimate bay to outer right; flanking boarded timber doors. N (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window centred at ground; smaller single window aligned above. Grey slate roof; raised stone skews; replacement rainwater goods. INTERIOR: not seen 1997.
GARDEN WALLS: rubble-coped, rubble walls enclosing near rectangular-plan garden to front. BOUNDARY WALL AND GATES: low coped wall enclosing site to road; wrought-iron gates.
Set to the N of the nearby church (see separate list entry), this simple manse, still in use as such, retains a degree of architectural interest. According to C E Eddy, a one time minister, this new manse was built to replace an existing structure in 1711, although the current form suggests a later date. He describes it as single storey with only 2 rooms, extended and later heightened to incorporate a second storey - although little evidence of this can be seen on the front elevation. Writing in the 1st Statistical Account, the Rev. George Drummond noted that "...the church was built in 1739. The manse some years earlier. They have both been lately repaired." We must assume this structure was incorporated into the present form.
Other nearby listed buildings