This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8515 / 55°51'5"N
Longitude: -2.4954 / 2°29'43"W
OS Eastings: 369082
OS Northings: 662140
OS Grid: NT690621
Mapcode National: GBR C00S.K7
Mapcode Global: WH8WS.M6X1
Entry Name: Cranshaws Schoolhouse Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 10 December 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391634
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44910
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Early 19th century with later additions and alterations. Rectangular-plan, 2-storey, 3-bay schoolhouse with gabled porch to front, flanking single storey wings, modern school block adjoining to NW. Harled; lightly droved sandstone dressings; projecting cills.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single window in projecting, gabled porch off-set to left of centre; replacement timber door in return to right; single window aligned at 1st floor. Single windows at both floors in flanking bays. Single storey wing to outer right comprising boarded timber door in bay to left; single window in bay to right. Bipartite window off-set to right of centre in single storey wing to left (classroom). Modern school block advanced to outer left.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated main block. Timber door in wing advanced to outer left; 2 single windows in wing to outer right.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; part-boarded, 4-pane timber sash and case window centred at 1st floor; some 4- and 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to rear. Grey slate roofs; raised stone skews; replacement cast-iron rainwater goods. Harled apex stacks to SE and NW; various circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1997.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: low coped rubble wall enclosing site to front; rubble walls enclosing site to rear. Square-plan, coursed rendered gatepiers flanking entrance; pyramidal caps; timber gates.
Although records show that a school was opened in Cranshaws in 1696, this building is thought to date from the early 19th century. Today, despite the erection of a further school building during the 1960s the original schoolmaster's house and classroom remain relatively intact. The Valuation Roll notes a Mr James Brown as schoolmaster in 1855.
Other nearby listed buildings