History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bothwell, 7 Fairyknowe Gardens, Mansfield, Including Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Outbuilding

A Category B Listed Building in Bothwell, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8038 / 55°48'13"N

Longitude: -4.0661 / 4°3'58"W

OS Eastings: 270593

OS Northings: 658659

OS Grid: NS705586

Mapcode National: GBR 011B.HB

Mapcode Global: WH4QP.HDZ1

Entry Name: Bothwell, 7 Fairyknowe Gardens, Mansfield, Including Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Outbuilding

Listing Date: 30 March 1998

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 391874

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45072

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bothwell

County: South Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Bothwell and Uddingston

Parish: Bothwell

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Bothwell

Description

Circa 1802 with later alterations and additions. 2-storey near symmetrical 3-bay rectangular-plan house with Italianate details; 2-storey, 2-bay piended roof addition to rear; later canted and square bays to front. Pink ashlar sandstone (stugged, squared sandstone rubble to sides and rear) with polished ashlar dressings. Base course; string course, cornice and Vitruvian scroll parapet above ground floor openings; eaves course; deep timber bracketed eaves. Chamfered mullions and surrounds to windows; long and short quoins.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: raised doorpiece at ground in bay to centre: channelled, chamfered round arch with keystone, set within square pilastered frame with carved spandrels; plain frieze and cornice; steps, flanked by low walls, leading to replaced timber panelled door with semi-circular fanlight; window at 1st floor above. 3 light square bay at ground in bay to right; bipartite window at 1st floor above. 4-light canted bay at ground in bay to right; bipartite window at 1st floor above.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced wing , set to left of centre, with replaced part-glazed door within raised surround, set to outer right; 2 bay returns (see side elevations); bipartite window set high to main block above. Small window at ground to right of addition, close to re-entrant angle.

SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: irregular 3-bay with 2- bay addition, set back, to right. Window, set to right of centre at ground; bipartite window to true centre at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in bays flanking. Window at each floor in bay to right of centre to addition; modern, part-glazed door with letterbox fanlight set close to angle to left.

NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: regular 2-bay, with 2-bay addition set back to left. Window at each floor in bay to outer right. Bipartite window at ground in bay to left; single window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in each bay to addition.

Predominantly 2- and 4-pane timber sash and case windows; fixed, leaded stair window at rear; grey slate piend-and-platform roof; grey slate to rear wing; paired tall ashlar ridge stacks with bracketed cornices; ashlar coped stacks, evenly disposed at NE (rear) wallhead; tall harled stack to rear wallhead of addition; cast-iron rainwater goods with some uPVC replacements to rear.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1997.

OUTBUILDING: sited to rear (NE) of main house: pitched, gable ended rectangular-plan outbuilding with modern glazed and timbered lean-to addition to front (SW) and to left (NW) and modern fascia to entrance bay to outer left and to long bay to right. Stugged and coursed pink sandstone with droved door surround and strip quoins; leaded skews; cast-iron rainwater goods.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan ashlar sandstone piers with flat square cap, set back to SE of main house; stugged sandstone walls with flat ashlar cope; replacement painted wrought iron gates.

Statement of Interest

An illustration in Pagan's ANTIQUITIES OF BOTHWELL shows the Manse in more or less its present form, dated 1802-1865, although stylistically it seems to owe more to 1865 than to 1802; an illustration in Waddell's BY BOTHWELL BANKS shows the Manse at the turn of the 18th century as a single storey, thatched building with garrets. He notes how Dr. McCulloch, the minister of the time, had this new manse erected and, due to a liking for gardening, created an orchard to the rear. The New Statistical Account says, "The manse is large, comfortable, and in good repair. The glebe consists of above 4 acres....There is an orchard of nearly 2 acres, but the soil and the situation are not considered favourable for fruit trees and the crop is precarious". The outbuilding to the rear is now a showroom for an interior decoration business.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.