This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7331 / 55°43'59"N
Longitude: -3.911 / 3°54'39"W
OS Eastings: 280097
OS Northings: 650506
OS Grid: NS800505
Mapcode National: GBR 1244.2P
Mapcode Global: WH4R4.W5S9
Entry Name: Dalserf, Lanark Road, Dalserf House Lodge, Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 30 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391917
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45108
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Larkhall
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Later 19th century with later alterations and additions. Single storey with raised basement 3-bay symmetrical lodge on ground falling to N with 3-light timber oriel windows. Stugged and snecked cream sandstone with droved dressings. Long and short margins to openings; long and short quoins. Gatepiers and gates sited to E.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: round-arched stop-chamfered doorway in bay to centre; round-arched timber panelled door. Window in each bay flanking.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration with window clustered to right.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: single bay gabled wall with bipartite oriel window to left; gablehead stack above.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay, 2-storey gabled wall. Replacement large-pane glazed door at ground in bay to left. blocked doorway at ground in bay to right. Blank at 1st floor. Gablehead stack above.
Small-pane timber mullioned and transomed casement windows; 2-pane timber sash and case and casement windows to rear. Grey slate roof with red clay ridge; ashlar coped stacks; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: architraved timber panelled doors; half height clap boarding to drawing room.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: pair of square-plan sandstone ashlar gatepiers with cornice, square cap and raised ball finials sited to E of lodge; replaced wrought-iron double gates; stugged sandstone ashlar quadrant wall with ridged ashlar cope sweeping in front of lodge, terminating in similar pier; wall stepped down to lower level in front of lodge; replaced wrought-iron pedestrian gate and railings.
Formerly a lodge to Dalserf House which the Old Statistical Account notes as having been occupied by Captain James Hamilton of Broomhill. It is described as 'a neat modern building, standing up on an eminence, near the village of Dalserf and commands a charming prospect, both up and down the Clyde.' The New Statistical Account notes that Dalserf House 'is let by the owner'. In 1894 Dalserf House was extended by G Henderson, who possibly designed the lodge too. The main house has subsequently been demolished.
Other nearby listed buildings