This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7377 / 55°44'15"N
Longitude: -3.9869 / 3°59'12"W
OS Eastings: 275344
OS Northings: 651158
OS Grid: NS753511
Mapcode National: GBR 02L3.M0
Mapcode Global: WH4R3.Q1NQ
Entry Name: Larkhall, Avonbank Road, Avonbank House, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepier
Listing Date: 30 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391919
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45110
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Larkhall
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Dated 1908, probably built on earlier site. 2-storey, 3-bay near- symmetrical house with paired half-timbered gables and 4-light canted, piend-roofed bay at ground to left. Harled with cream sandstone dressings; applied timber framing to gables. Cill course at 1st floor. Plain margins to windows; strip quoins.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2 stone steps to architraved doorpiece; 2-leaf timber panelled doors with small-pane fanlight above; part-glazed timber panelled vestibule door behind with rectangular fanlight; 3-light window with swept canopy at 1st floor above. 3-light window at ground in bay to right; bipartite at 1st floor; shouldered gablehead stack above. 4-light canted window at ground in bay to left; bipartite at 1st floor above.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated wide, M-gable elevation with flat-roofed additions projecting W to outer right.
Timber sash and case windows with small-pane upper sashes; some casement windows to rear and to additions. Grey slate roof; slate to canted window; modern felt covering to flat-roofed additions; ashlar coped stack to E; tall wallhead harled coped stack to N and S; ashlar cope to additions; plain bargeboards to twin gables; cast-iron rainwater goods with dated hopper to E.
INTERIOR: timber panelled architraved doors, timber skirting boards and good decorative cornices to main rooms downstairs; canted window to dining room flanked by panelled pilasters.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIER: squared sandstone rubble wall with curved ashlar cope running along south side of garden. Square-plan stop-chamfered sandstone pier on plinth with cornice and round-arched cap, sited at garden entrance to SE of house; replacement wrought-iron gates and railings.
In 1840 the dam at Millheugh was heightened and an elaborate system of lades and run-offs was constructed to power the undershot wheel for the new bleachworks to be built. There had been a house on this site since the early 19th century, the Clydesdale Journal advertising its availability to rent in 1820, the present building replacing it in the early 20th century.
Other nearby listed buildings