This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7388 / 55°44'19"N
Longitude: -3.9726 / 3°58'21"W
OS Eastings: 276245
OS Northings: 651252
OS Grid: NS762512
Mapcode National: GBR 02P2.QM
Mapcode Global: WH4R3.Y0FW
Entry Name: Larkhall, Union Street, Glengowan Primary School, Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 30 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391933
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45122
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Larkhall
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Dated 1895, rear elevation dated 1901. 2-storey, symmetrical 3-bay rectangular-plan board school with scrolled pediments. Bull-faced cream sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. Base course; cill course at ground and 1st floors; cornices with ?eyebrow? pediments over ground floor windows; eaves course. long and short surrounds to windows; stone mullions and transoms at 1st floor; pilasters flanking central bay; bracketted pilasters flanking pedimented bays at 1st floor; long and short quoins. Later, (1903) stugged cream sandstone ashlar, regularly fenestrated L-plan block sited to right (S) of main school.
W (UNION STREET) ELEVATION: 2 bipartite windows with 'eyebrow' pediments, closely disposed at ground in bay to centre; 2 transomed bipartite windows, closely disposed at 1st floor, breaking eaves; carved inscription, 'LARKHALL SCHOOL BOARD' to panel, flanked by scrolls below finialled triangular-headed pediment above. 3 windows, (pediment to centre) at ground in bay to right; transomed 3-light window, breaking eaves at 1st floor; scrolled pediment with centred, pedimented carved date panel, 1895, above. Identical arrangement in bay to left; panel contain initials, 'LSB'.
E (ACADEMY STREET) ELEVATION: 7-bay, near symmetrical with flat-roofed single storey entrance porch to right of centre. Bipartite window at ground in bay to central; 3-light window breaking eaves, with dated '1901' finialled, triangular-headed pediment at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in bay to left. Bipartite at ground with transomed pedimented bipartite, breaking eaves, at 1st floor above in bay to penultimate left. Window at each floor in bay to outer left. 3-light window to entrance porch in bay to right; window at 1st floor above. Window at ground with transomed and pedimented bipartite, breaking eaves at 1st floor in bay to penultimate right. Window at each floor in bay to outer right. Flat-roofed covered play area on iron columnar supports sited in playground to NE of site.
Predominantly 8-pane timber sash and case windows; hopper windows above transoms. Grey/green slate platform roof with red clay ridge; pitched roof with red clay ridge to rear (1901) block; coped pediments; coped skews to N and S gable ends of rear (1901) block; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1997.
BOUNDARY WALLS GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: Union Street: 2 pairs of corniced, chamfered square-plan sandstone ashlar piers; pair to left with inscribed panel. 'GIRLS', to right 'BOYS'; flattened scrolls to sides; low bull-faced wall with ridged cope linking; Art Nouveau style wrought-iron railings and gates. Academy Street: single pair of chamfered square-plan sandstone piers with blank panel below cornice; flattened scrolls to sides; low stugged sandstone walls with ridged ashlar cope; replaced railings, matched with those on Union Street.
The school opened in 1866 and was originally a single storey with a further storey added in 1884. The L-plan building was added in 1903 and further buildings, on a separate site on Claude Street, were built in 1923 with additions in 1938. A girls' gymnasium was opened in 1958.
Other nearby listed buildings