This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7307 / 55°43'50"N
Longitude: -3.9072 / 3°54'25"W
OS Eastings: 280328
OS Northings: 650238
OS Grid: NS803502
Mapcode National: GBR 1245.WJ
Mapcode Global: WH4R4.Y7L3
Entry Name: Mauldslie West Lodge, Gateway and Gates
Listing Date: 12 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391936
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45125
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Larkhall
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Probably David Bryce, dated 1861. 2-storey with raised basement to rear, asymmetrical 3-bay gothic detailed lodge with crowstepped gables (gabled bay to outer left later) and 3-light bowed window to right; integrated gateway with square-plan, machicolation tower to left and corbelled circular-plan angle tower to right; adjoining bridge listed separately. Polished cream sandstone ashlar (stugged sandstone to addition) with polished dressings. Base course; stepped string course, continuous as hood mould over door and window to right; stepped hood-moulds over gateway openings; cornice to each tower flanking gateway; roll-moulded surrounds to openings (plain to addition) with aproned cills.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: architraved replacement part-glazed timber panelled door at ground in recessed bay to centre. 2 windows closely disposed at each floor in gabled addition to outer left. Bow window with single window and ball finial to gablehead above in bay to right.
Moulded, corbelled round-arched gateway to outer right; deeply carved armorial plaque with seated dog above shield and inscription 'AYE READY' and rope twist border below curvilinear parapet between flanking towers. Window at ground with shouldered surround to tower to left; round-arched opening (blocked) to S; machicolated parapet above. Machicolated corbel and gun loops below blocked narrow window to W and S of circular tower to right; conical roof and ball finial.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: replacement boarded door at basement in recessed bay to centre; window above. 2 windows, closely disposed, at each floor in gabled bay to outer left. Corbelled 3-light bow/oriel? window at ground in bay to left of centre; window and gablehead stack above. Shouldered doorway (blocked) at ground to square tower; strapwork initials, 'JH' above; narrow stair window above; corbelled angle tower with slit window to NW to NW; conical roof and ball finial. Similar treatment to gateway with deeply carved shield and date panel to parapet. Round-arched cast-iron double gates.
Small-pane timber-framed hopper windows. Grey slate roof; slate to corbelled angle towers; ashlar coped stacks; replacement uPVC rainwater goods.
Built for James Hogier of Newlands, it acted as a lodge with private bridge to Mauldslie Castle which lay over the river to the east. The castle, built by the 5th Earl of Hyndford to plans by Robert Adam in 1792-93, was demolished in 1935. The seated dog motif, together with inscription can also be found in the garden of 'Marna', another lodge to the castle, to the south, (see separate list description). The stables to the former Mauldslie Castle survive and lie to the east in Carluke Parish.
Other nearby listed buildings