History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Arniston Policies, Sunken Garden, Vehicular Bridge over Purvies Hill Burn

A Category B Listed Building in Borthwick, Midlothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8201 / 55°49'12"N

Longitude: -3.0763 / 3°4'34"W

OS Eastings: 332657

OS Northings: 659067

OS Grid: NT326590

Mapcode National: GBR 61Y4.SG

Mapcode Global: WH6T7.QZ82

Entry Name: Arniston Policies, Sunken Garden, Vehicular Bridge over Purvies Hill Burn

Listing Date: 19 March 1998

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 391962

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45147

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Borthwick

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian South

Parish: Borthwick

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Gorebridge

Description

Dated 1810. Semi-circular arched, single span bridge over Purvies Hill Burn. Random rubble; tooled arch-ring with long and short voussoirs. Datestone reading "1810" to centre of N elevation, below 17th century carved, scrolled mask; carved keystone to S elevation. Coped parapet with decorative iron railings bearing central thistle flanked by roses.

Statement of Interest

The sunken garden, to the south of Arniston House, is a highly original example of informal garden planning. Separated from the house by steeply sloping parkland, it runs either side of Purvies Hill Burn, although the garden ornaments are primarily on the north bank. Originally the ornamental urns, benches and bridges were surrounded by informal clusters of trees and plants. These were replaced by more formal carpet bedding, although today the garden ornaments themselves are all that survive (1997). The 17th century mask to the centre of the vehicular bridge, which marks the south-east corner of the sunken garden, possibly originated on Parliament House, Edinburgh, which was re-faced by Robert Reid in 1803. Lord Chief Baron Robert Dundas (1758-1819) brought cartloads of the architectural fragments from Parliament house, where they "were treated as mere rubbish" (Arniston Memoirs p297), to Arniston where they were incorporated into picturesque structures in the walled and sunken gardens (see separate listings). Other fragments were acquired by famous writer and antiquarian Walter Scott for his house at Abbotsford.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.