History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vaila, Cloudin Farmhouse, Including Outbuildings and Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Shetland West, Shetland Islands

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 60.2088 / 60°12'31"N

Longitude: -1.5848 / 1°35'5"W

OS Eastings: 423112

OS Northings: 1147234

OS Grid: HU231472

Mapcode National: GBR Q1FR.JL8

Mapcode Global: XHD2T.RNBM

Entry Name: Vaila, Cloudin Farmhouse, Including Outbuildings and Walls

Listing Date: 30 March 1998

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 392163

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45305

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Walls and Sandness

County: Shetland Islands

Electoral Ward: Shetland West

Parish: Walls And Sandness

Traditional County: Shetland

Find accommodation in
Sandness

Description

Dated 1894. Near symmetrical farm comprised of 2 storey farmhouse with single storey outbuildings flanking in Palladian form, enclosing courtyard to S. Harl pointed rubble walls with concrete dressings and details. Projecting cills to windows and crowstepped gables, bracketted to house.

2 bay farmhouse at centre; projecting 2 storey gabled porch breaking eaves in bay to left, vertically boarded timber door with datestone and margined window above. Margined bipartite window with plate glass timber sash and case glazing at ground in bay to right. Harled wall extending to outbuildings at right and left, modern (1996) rubble lean to built in re entrant angle to left. Single windows centring S gables, ventilator slits to courtyard elevations, variety of openings to outer elevations.

Purple grey slate roofs; harled cruciform plan ridge stack to farmhouse, coped, with circular cans. Harled rubble wall enclosing courtyard, gateway at centre with square piers and pyramidal caps.

Statement of Interest

Vaila was granted to Robert Cheyne in 1576 by James VI, eventually passing to James Mitchell of Girlsta, a Scalloway merchant, who built the Old Haa in 1696. Passing by descent to the Scotts of Melby, Vaila was sold in 1893 to Yorkshire mill owner Herbert Anderton who had been brought to Shetland through wool-buying. With his brother, Anderton developed Vaila as a farm and a place to shoot and fish during summer visits.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.