This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0983 / 56°5'53"N
Longitude: -3.1839 / 3°11'2"W
OS Eastings: 326447
OS Northings: 690136
OS Grid: NT264901
Mapcode National: GBR 28.MYDY
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.2Z4B
Entry Name: Balwearie Cottage Flint Mill, Kiln, Mill Lade and Bridge
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392347
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45454
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Kirkcaldy and Dysart
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Parish: Kirkcaldy And Dysart
Traditional County: Fife
FLINT MILL: dated 175(6?)8; converted to flint mill circa 1840 (see Notes). Pantiled, rectangular-plan, rubble flint mill on ground falling sharply to E.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: low wall with boarded timber door to centre in catslide roof.
S ELEVATION: remains of high-breast wheel with wood spokes and iron rings, axle and buckets, 24ft diameter.
N ELEVATION: round-headed blocked door to centre at ground, datestone ?175(6?)8?, and blocked window in gablehead.
E (TIEL BURN) ELEVATION: window opening to left, remains of iron structure lower down to right.
KILN: vertical tapering circular harled flint-calcining kiln above high rubble wall with round-arched, keystoned opening (firing floor) at ground level. Access to kiln from inside cottage.
MILL LADE AND BRIDGE: mill lade and round-arched, voussoired bridge to S of mill.
According to the NSA, large quantities of finely ground flint are required in pottery making to "give strength and whiteness to the body and to prevent cracking of the glaze". Two water-powered flint mills were powered by the Tiel Burn, Balwearie and nearby Hole Mill, which had calcining kiln, drying floors and a red brick stalk with corbelled cornice. Both mills were converted from 18th century corn mills and belonged to the Raith Estate but were worked by David Methven & Sons of the Links or Kirkcaldy potteries which worked from 1714 until closure in 1930. John Hunter flintmiller was tenant of Balwearie Flintmill house in 1893. Balwearie mill closed in 1924, and the current owner has found some pieces of fine earthenware in the grounds. Cottage not included in this listing.
Other nearby listed buildings