This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1701 / 56°10'12"N
Longitude: -3.1938 / 3°11'37"W
OS Eastings: 325969
OS Northings: 698139
OS Grid: NT259981
Mapcode National: GBR 28.H8FG
Mapcode Global: WH6RM.X59Q
Entry Name: Thornton, Strathore House Including Boundary Walls and Gates
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392359
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45464
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Kirkcaldy and Dysart
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes Central and Thornton
Parish: Kirkcaldy And Dysart
Traditional County: Fife
Late 18th century with mid 19th century wing. 2-storey, 4-bay house with 5th bay wing. Rubble and harl with ashlar dressings. Bracketed cill to porch window; deeply chamfered arrises and stone mullions. Crowsteps.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 18th century block to left of centre with 3 windows to each floor and finialled gableheads breaking eaves above, from left to right finials are rose, pineapple and thistle. Bay to right of centre with single storey, cavetto-corniced ashlar porch with large tripartite window, deep-set multi-pane door and plate glass fanlight on return to left in architraved surround, each face with ball-finialled stepped gablehead. Recessed face behind with star-finialled gableheaded window breaking eaves. Taller, thistle-finialled, gabled bay to outer right with canted tripartite window to each floor.
W ELEVATION: canted tripartite window with ball-finialled gableheads in bay to right at ground, window above and blocked window to left at each floor, dominant shouldered wallhead stack above.
N ELEVATION: advanced, harled, gabled bay to centre with 2 windows to each floor and small gablehead stack, window to ground on return to left; bay to left with tiny window at ground and tall stair window above, and slightly advanced gabled bay to outer left with multi-pane door to right and window above, with full-height chimney breast and dominant gablehead stack. Bay to outer right with window to ground and later quadripartite window above, single storey outbuilding abutting beyond.
W ELEVATION: gabled bay with window to each floor at outer right, advanced pitch-roofed bay to centre with modern glass door slapping and window on return to right, door to outer left.
4-, 6-, 12 and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows except to right at N elevation. Grey slates. Coped harled and ashlar stacks, some with polygonal cans and thackstanes; ashlar-coped skews and beak skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: panelled shutters and plain cornicing. Carved timber, marble and stone fireplaces; dog-leg staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail. Decorative coloured glass to stair window.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES: some coped rubble boundary walls. Decorative cast-iron gates and piers with large S-scroll flanks.
The lands of Strathore belonged to the Hepburns in the 16th century, subsequently passing into the Rothes family and divided into Easter and Wester Strathore. The Wester lands belonged to George Prentice by 1895 and Strathore House was sold by him to Alex Clark, farmer from Newton, Markinch in 1911.
Other nearby listed buildings