This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1226 / 56°7'21"N
Longitude: -3.15 / 3°9'0"W
OS Eastings: 328599
OS Northings: 692800
OS Grid: NT285928
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.L67Z
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.LC6P
Entry Name: Den Road, Forbo-Nairn Ltd
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392426
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45499
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
Later and late 19th century, and 1928 tower. Approximately L-plan factory block including evolutionary development within fabric.
W BLOCK: 17-bay, 5-storey range with taller, flat-roofed 7-bay range to right and taller, flat-roofed single bay tower to left, all red brick. Arcaded ground floor with segmental-headed windows above except 9 left bays of 4th floor with round-headed windows.
W ELEVATION: regular fenestration (some windows blinded) to centre range including door to bay 6 at ground, and blocked opening to bay 3; bay 1 with door at ground and windows above all blocked. Vertical and some horizontal dividing bands to outer right range, and some small windows retained at 1st and 2nd floors. All openings blocked to tower at outer left
NE BLOCK: piend-roofed, red brick block with corbelled frieze and cornice. Segmental-headed openings to ground and 2nd floor, round-headed openings to 1st floor; continuous hoodmould to E and recessed architraves to N.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Broad entrance to centre at ground, with tall blinded window at 1st floor flanked by smaller windows.
N ELEVATION: fire escape running from left at ground to centre at 2nd floor. Ground floor with blocked opening to left of centre and modern lean-to extension projecting to right. 1st floor with tall window in bay to centre and similar window to right with aluminium air vent at head, and further window beyond, horizontally-aligned altered window to outer right; altered bay to left of centre (blocked window?) with 2 further windows beyond. 2nd floor with door to centre, small window to left, window to right with aluminium air-vent, further window in penultimate bay to right and altered window (as 1st floor) to outer right.
W ELEVATION: blank brick to left with taller tower adjoining at centre and right.
Small-pane glazing patterns throughout, round-headed windows with lying-panes in casement and hopper frames, and radial-astragalled heads. Grey slate.
1928 TOWER: 3-bay, 11-storey. Flat-roofed, pre-formed concrete tower with stair well rising above main block at NW. Wide band courses at irregular intervals. Bipartite windows with small-pane glazing patterns, some with top-hopper openings, some windows blinded. Port-hole opening to each elevation of stair well above roof-line.
Linoleum drying banks built 1 on top of another, building strength insufficient therefore top floor unused.
Michael Nairn began business as a canvas weaver in Linktown before moving to Kirkcaldy in 1828. He opened the first floorcloth factory in Scotland in 1847, the original building (demolished 1990) being know as 'Nairn's Folly'. Success led to the spread of factory buildings to both South and North of Victoria Road, with almost constant Dean of Guild applications to extend, add and alter buildings from 1879 onwards. Gillespie & Scott of St Andrews were regularly employed by Nairns but owing to the organic nature of development, and extensive demolition in the late 20th century, exact attribution is difficult. Only one earlier range (Victoria Road) than this remains, and is listed separately at category 'A'. Also listed (category 'B') is the former head office at Braehead House.
Other nearby listed buildings