This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.125 / 56°7'30"N
Longitude: -3.1214 / 3°7'16"W
OS Eastings: 330385
OS Northings: 693042
OS Grid: NT303930
Mapcode National: GBR 2C.L0PC
Mapcode Global: WH6RW.09XT
Entry Name: Dysart, Mcdouall Stuart Place and Rectory Lane, Mcdouall Stuart Museum with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392437
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45508
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
18th century; restored 1977. 2-storey, 3-bay house at end of irregular terrace converted to museum. Harled with stone margins and quoins strips.
NE (MCDOUALL STUART PLACE) ELEVATION: 3 windows close to ground, 3 taller windows at 1st floor; wallhead stack to centre; bay to right angled around corner to adjoin Nos 1 and 3.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-bay elevation with bipartite window to left of centre at ground; 1st floor with stair to door at right and window to left.
SE (RECTORY LANE) ELEVATION: window to right at ground, taller window to centre at 1st floor and further small window to right in gablehead.
12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks; ashlar-coped skews.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls.
Together with the adjoining Nos 1 and 3 (listed separately) the McDouall Stuart Museum was the home of John McDouall Stuart, born 1815, Australian explorer after whom the Stuart Highway (from Alice Springs to Darwin) is named. Restored under the National Trust for Scotland Little Houses Scheme.
Other nearby listed buildings