This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1284 / 56°7'42"N
Longitude: -3.1229 / 3°7'22"W
OS Eastings: 330296
OS Northings: 693424
OS Grid: NT302934
Mapcode National: GBR 2C.KSFH
Mapcode Global: WH6RW.0756
Entry Name: Dysart, Normand Road United Free Church with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392443
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45512
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
James Brown, 1867; hall 1936. Rectangular-plan, plain Gothic style church with 2-stage tower and broach spire; 5-bay nave with buttresses and gabled church hall to W. Narrow blocks of stugged and squared rubble with ashlar quoins and coursed rubble to W. Narrow pointed-arch openings; 2-stage saw-tooth coped angle buttresses; raised centre E window; hoodmoulds to tower.
E (NORMAND ROAD) ELEVATION: gable to right of centre with steps up to deeply-chamfered doorway with 2-leaf panelled timber door and similar fanlight, and hoodmould extending to band course; raised centre tripartite window and glazed quatrefoil in gablehead with broken Celtic cross finial; further door and window to outer right. Tower (see below) to left.
SE TOWER: 1st stage: E elevation with door below hoodmoulded window, S elevation also with hoodmoulded window and both elevations with dividing course incorporating glazed multi-foil opening. Louvered tripartite openings high up to each face of 2nd stage, and broach spire with ball-and-spike finial.
S (STATION ROAD) ELEVATION: 3 windows to centre with flanking buttresses and further windows to outer bays with buttress to left, tower adjoining to outer right. Lower gable of hall slightly set- back to outer left with window and narrow opening in cross-finialled gablehead.
W ELEVATION: broad gable behind roof of hall with blocked roundel, flanking lancets and vesica in gablehead with stack.
N ELEVATION: mirrors S elevation but with further window to left, all boarded, and basement entrance with low railings to outer left.
Multi-pane leaded glazing. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts; stone finials.
INTERIOR: largely intact. Horseshoe gallery with decorative plasterwork to moulded balcony, supported on slender cast-iron columns with decorative capitals. Timber pews to ground and gallery. Gothic-style timber pulpit with double stair. Decorative cast-iron balustrades to staircases leading to gallery.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: low coped rubble boundary walls, some with inset decorative cast-iron railings. 2 pairs of pyramidal-coped, stop-chamfered ashlar gatepiers with decorative cast-iron gates, and arch to main entrance (SE).
Place of worship in use as such. Built at a cost of £2,600, with 650 sittings.
List Description updated, 2011.
Other nearby listed buildings