This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1254 / 56°7'31"N
Longitude: -3.1237 / 3°7'25"W
OS Eastings: 330242
OS Northings: 693086
OS Grid: NT302930
Mapcode National: GBR 2C.L05W
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.Z9PJ
Entry Name: Dysart, West Quality Street, Masonic Hall
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392448
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45516
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
Church 1845, Masonic Hall from 1890, converted as such 1899 by D Forbes Smith. Tall single storey, 5-bay, piend-roofed former church on corner site and in irregular terrace to W. Stugged ashlar with polished margins and quoin strips. Base and eaves courses. Architraved, pointed-arch openings.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 tall windows to centre bays; slightly advanced, pedimented outer bays, that to right with moulded doorcase and stepped hoodmould enclosing inscription "MASONIC HALL. PRESENTED BY THE RIGHT HONOURABLE EARL OF ROSSLYN 1890", pointed-arch opening above and louvered oculus in finialled pediment; bay to outer left splayed with tall window and oculus with Freemasons compasses in finialled pediment. Pyramid-capped, rectangular louvered ridge vent to centre, and modern rooflight to right.
E ELEVATION: 2 tall windows; recessed dry-dashed screen wall of rear wing to outer left.
S ELEVATION: catslide roof of dry-dashed rear wing abutting eaves line.
All windows blocked. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans, ashlar-coped skews and ball and spike finials.
INTERIOR: not seen 1997.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. At the Disruption, the Rev John Thomson moved to this new Free Church, which was opened on 5th January, 1845; the service was led by Rev John Alexander of Kirkcaldy Free Church. The church was used for 29 years, and was subsequently known as the Fitzroy Hall; it was given (in 1890) to the Masonic Order by the 4th Earl of Rosslyn. The Forbes Smith drawings show a timbered gallery.
Other nearby listed buildings