This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.126 / 56°7'33"N
Longitude: -3.1622 / 3°9'43"W
OS Eastings: 327851
OS Northings: 693196
OS Grid: NT278931
Mapcode National: GBR 29.L3JM
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.D9F1
Entry Name: Hayfield Road, West Lodge with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 3 December 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392466
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45528
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy North
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1899. 2-storey, L-plan lodge with Scots 17th century detailing. Harled with ashlar dressings. Conical-roofed round stair tower; 1st floor corbelled; crowstepped gables and corniced, pedimented dormerheads.
EAST (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4 bays. Advanced, gabled bay to left with window to right at 1st floor and loop in gablehead, window on return to right at ground with narrow light above; stair tower in re-entrant angle to right with studded door (to N) and 3 round-headed lights, weathervane capping. 2 bays to right with windows to each floor, those to upper floor breaking eaves into monogrammed dormerheads.
S (HAYFIELD ROAD) ELEVATION: 3 windows to each floor, those to 1st floor as above.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical fenestration, elements included gabled bay to right and pedimented dormerhead to left.
N ELEVATION: gabled with door to left at ground.
12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped and harled apex and axial stacks. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hopper to SW.
BOUNDARY WALL: shaped, coped rubble boundary wall to SW.
Formerly the gate lodge to Dunnikier House (now hotel), West Lodge was conceived as a small version of Old Dunnikier House (now Path House). Some dormerheads inscribed J(ohn) O(swald). 2 bench marks of interest: official OS mark and mark of W D Sang, a local engineer; latter related to Kirkcaldy tide level, and a different level to OS. The adjacent 'Golden Gates' are listed separately. The same architect presumably added tower and boundary walls at Path House.
Other nearby listed buildings