This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1258 / 56°7'32"N
Longitude: -3.1312 / 3°7'52"W
OS Eastings: 329777
OS Northings: 693137
OS Grid: NT297931
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.L4HM
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.W947
Entry Name: 84 Loughborough Road, Ravensheugh with Gatepiers, Gates and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392474
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45534
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1877. 2-storey, 3-bay gabled villa with single storey wing to N. Narrow sandstone ashlar blocks with raised ashlar quoins and polished dressings, coursed and snecked rubble to N and E: stugged and squared Aberdeen bond rubble to wing. Chamfered ashlar base course and moulded dividing course to W and S. Segmental-headed openings to ground W and S; corbels; stone transoms and mullions, and moulded arrises. Stop-chamfered arrises to wing.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay with segmental-headed, keystoned portico with stiff-leaf columns, pilastered doorway and 2-leaf panelled timber door with plate glass fanlight; cavetto cornice above giving way to urn balusters with flanking stone dies and window at 1st floor. Bipartite window with stiff-leaf-capitalled colonnettes to each floor in bay to left; slightly advanced gabled bay to right with full height canted tripartite window, centre light to 1st floor with segmental head bearing shell motif, corbelled to square into gablehead with monogrammed panel.
S ELEVATION: broad, slightly advanced gabled bay to right of centre with canted tripartite window at ground and bipartite window above, monogrammed panel in gablehead. 3 windows to left at ground and tripartite window above with dormer gablehead, also monogrammed; all 1st floor mullions as above. Single storey extension to outer right.
N ELEVATION: small window to centre at ground with dominant traceried stair window above, plain chimney gable to right. Single storey wing (see below) projecting to left.
WING: piend and platform roof. W elevation with shouldered doorway and panelled timber door with plate glass fanlight and finialled dormer gablehead to centre, 2 windows to flanking bays. Asymmetrical fenestration to N and further window with shouldered wallhead stack to E.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical fenestration including shouldered wallhead stack to left.
Mainly plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows, coloured multi-pane glazing to stair window. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped, shouldered ashlar stacks with clay cans some very ornate. Deeply overhanging eaves with filigree (to S and W) and plain (to N) bargeboarding, and decorative cast-iron finials.
INTERIOR: screen door with etched glass to hall with dog-leg staircase with timber barley twist balusters, panelled and ornately finialled newel posts; traceried coloured and leaded stair window; coffered ceiling. 1st floor drawing room with richly moulded plasterwork. Picture frame mouldings and mutuled cornice to dining room. Panelled timber shutters and architraved doorcases.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped rubble boundary walls with coped ashlar gatepiers and decorative cast-iron gates.
The ground was purchased by the Earl of Wemyss, and the house built for Miss Euphemia Keddie who remained a spinster and bequeathed the building to her solicitor. It was later purchased by Andrew Blyth whose art collection is in the Kirkcaldy Art Gallery.
Other nearby listed buildings