This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1246 / 56°7'28"N
Longitude: -3.1409 / 3°8'27"W
OS Eastings: 329172
OS Northings: 693020
OS Grid: NT291930
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.L2BK
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.QBJ3
Entry Name: 108 St Clair Street and 1-3 (Odd Nos) Loughborough Road with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392495
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45550
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
William Syme, 1913. 2-storey, L-plan classical bank building on corner site. Stone cleaned ashlar, S and W channelled at ground and with 1st floor pilaster quoins, coursed squared and snecked rubble elsewhere; architraved surrounds. Base course, cavetto-corniced dividing course and mutuled eaves cornice. Ground floor openings keystoned, windows round-headed; 1st floor windows corniced: voussoirs, stone mullions.
SW (ENTRANCE) CORNER: composite-capitalled columns flank deeply moulded round-headed doorway with decorative cast-iron gates and glazed semicircular fanlight with cast-iron grille, lettered 'BANK'; cornice and block pediment give way to dividing course below smaller columns (detailed as at ground) forming aedicule to 1st floor window. Heavy block pediment over cornice with flanking dies and horizontal scrollwork detail extending around corners to W and S elevations.
S (LOUGHBOROUGH ROAD) ELEVATION: 4-bay. Pedimented doorcase to right of centre with foliate-capitalled pilasters and flanking narrow lights, steps up to panelled timber door with plate glass fanlight; bipartite window in bay to right and 2 windows with moulded aprons to left. 1st floor with bipartite window, flanking channelled pilasters and mutuled pediment above eaves in bay to right of centre, window to outer right and 2 windows to left; channelled pilasters to outer angles.
W (ST CLAIR STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Windows to each bay with moulded aprons, that to right with apron and base of window altered, that to left with decorative moulding to head forming part of corbel to canted 1st floor window with flanking channelled pilasters and mutuled pediment above eaves; windows to centre and right bays and further channelled pilaster to outer right.
N ELEVATION: 1st floor with decorative-astragalled, round-headed stair window to centre and 2 small windows to left, broad advanced gable with dominant gablehead stack to right, and 2 small windows on return to left. 1st floor not visible beyond boundary fence.
E ELEVATION: pitch-roofed, single storey wing with small window and bipartite window on return to left projecting at ground; irregular fenestration at 1st floor with small keystoned, round-headed opening with oculus to centre below gablehead stack.
4-pane and plate glass glazing to timber sash and case windows except to former banking hall with modern windows. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with cans and ashlar-coped skews and flat skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: former banking hall modern but retains decorative mutuled cornices. Nos 1-3 Loughborough Road interior not seen 1997.
BOUNDARY WALLS: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls.
Former National Bank of Scotland. William Syme was working from 62 High Street in 1913 and later went into partnership with J D Swanston. Premises now (1997) in use as insurance offices with flatted accommodation above.
Other nearby listed buildings