This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1163 / 56°6'58"N
Longitude: -3.1602 / 3°9'36"W
OS Eastings: 327958
OS Northings: 692108
OS Grid: NT279921
Mapcode National: GBR 29.LQ0D
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.FJDK
Entry Name: 121 Victoria Road, Victoria House with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392502
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45557
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
William Williamson, 1897. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, swept-roofed Queen Anne villa. Stugged red sandstone rubble and polished ashlar dressings. Base and 1st floor cill courses, and mutuled cornice. Chamfered and moulded arrises, stone mullions.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: bay to centre with stylised Gibbsean surround to segmental-pedimented doorcase with foliate-carved tympanum and 2-leaf panelled timber door with decorative wrought-iron over top-lights, bipartite window to left and advanced canted quadripartite window with cornice and deep blocking course in gabled bay to right. 1st floor with small bipartite window to centre and left bays, and further bipartite window to right with glazed shaped vesica in gablehead.
S ELEVATION: ground floor not seen. Large, decorative-astragalled window to centre at 1st floor with broad, timber dormer window (see Notes) above.
E ELEVATION: blank elevation with glazed vesica in nepus gable breaking eaves at centre.
W ELEVATION: piend and platform-roofed garage at ground below small window, shouldered stack breaking eaves above.
Decorative-astragalled upper over plate glass lower sashes to ground N and small-pane glazing elsewhere, all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks and ashlar-coped skews with flat skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: not seen 1997.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls with cavetto-coped, ball-finialled, banded gatepiers and decorative cast-iron gates.
Built for George Ferguson and Isabella McIntosh, daughter of A H McIntosh furniture manufacturer; George Ferguson later became director of the company. Victoria House was originally named Alexandra House. Williamson's drawing of the S elevation gives an attic plan with a 9' high room. Planning permission was also granted in 1897 for an outhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings