This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1184 / 56°7'6"N
Longitude: -3.1573 / 3°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 328138
OS Northings: 692337
OS Grid: NT281923
Mapcode National: GBR 29.LJMC
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.GGQY
Entry Name: Victoria Road and Dunnikier Road, Victoria Mansions
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392506
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45561
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
Probably William Dow, dated 1906. 3-storey classical tenement on corner site with shops and former bank premises at ground. Red ashlar sandstone with channelled quoins. Ground floor cornice, mutuled eaves cornice and blocking course. Pedimented doorcases, tabbed margins, corbels and stone mullions.
SE CORNER: Doric columns (fluted toward top) flank roundheaded, keystoned doorway with decorative cast-iron gates; moulded pediment above giving way to cavetto cornice and bipartite window at 1st floor with shaped, bracketed cill, further bipartite window at 2nd floor below datestone in open pediment. Small, rounded balustrade with flanking dies and scrolls above blocking course.
S (VICTORIA ROAD) ELEVATION: doorcase to left of centre with stepped moulding and deep-set panelled timber door, bracketed plate glass fanlight above with flanking balusters, modern fascia below cornice and pediment, modern shop to left with composite-capitalled pilaster beyond. 2 modern shops to right and further 2-bay display window to outer right with dividing and flanking pilasters, latter with composite capitals. 4 bays to 1st and 2nd floors with pilasters dividing bays to right and to outer angles. Bipartite window to left and window to right in bays 1, 3 and 4, reversed to bay 2. Blank courses dividing bays 1 and 2 with stepped corbel at 2nd floor and wallhead stack above blocking course.
E (DUNNIKIER ROAD) ELEVATION: pedimented doorcase (as above) to left of centre at ground with large display window to left, centre door shop to right and flanking composite-capitalled pediments. 1st and 2nd floors with flanking quoin strips, window to centre, stepped corbel below wallhead stack to left and further window to outer left; bipartite window to outer right.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows except to right of centre S; fixed display windows to ground. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with cans; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers to centre and right S, and to E.
INTERIOR: tenement staircases with stone stairs and bull-nosed treads, decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrails.
Listed particularly for corner feature and door to prominent cross-road elevation. The William Dow attribution is made as the 1904 block (see below), and the nearby St Andrews Church (listed separately) are by him. Built by A H McIntosh Furniture Manufacturers as part of the Victoria Road Works (demolished) with accommodation for workers above bank and shops; the cabinet factory (built 1879) was immediately W of this building. The W block (1904) of Victoria Mansions beyond channelled quoin strip and blocking course not included in this listing.
A H McIntosh started business in 1869, in 1879 he was 'Highly Commended' at the Paris Furniture Exhibition for an ornate sideboard; in 1892 he took up residence in the nearby Victoria House (now Victoria Hotel listed separately) and was elected Chairman of the School Board in 1889. George Ferguson, also a director of the company, married Isabella McIntosh and they built Alexandra House (now Victoria House also listed separately) across the road from McIntosh's home.
Other nearby listed buildings